93 Gs300 Turns Over But Wont Start

Have a 93 GS300 with 180k on it. Runs like a champ except after it rains. Has a very bad hesitation after it rains and usually doesn't go away until it dries out or I drive for a while. The other day it rained about 2 inches over night and when I went to start it, it was idling and shaking the entire car. When I stepped on the gas in idle the RPM's wouldn't go past 1000 until about 45 seconds of having it floored. When I put in reverse, the RPM's wouldn't go over 500, even when given gas and couldn't get out of driveway. It eventually died and now will not restart, even after a week. Turns over, but that's about it....it's driving me crazy!

Moist and electronics usually don't mix. You didn't mention if your car is frequently serviced, so I presume it is.

There are some things to check, clean or perhaps replace:

- corroded battery terminals and electrical wires/harness/connectors.

- plugs, moist in plug-wells or evidence of it, corroded plug-connectors and plugwires (false spark)

- check ECU + environment for moist or corrotion

- corroded MAF harness connector and/or electrical wires

- clean your throttlebody and idle air control valve etc.

Well I started today by checking out the plugs...or atleast the easy 4 to get to. When I pulled the first plug wire, it came out completely wet. I inspected the 4 others that I could get to and they were the same way. Guess i better siphon out the water and start the arduous task of getting to the middle two spark plugs. Hopefully this is the reason it wont start...then i guess I better try and find a root cause. I did taste the fluid to make sure it was water and it was.

While your at it, inspect your coil pack's too. There is some rubber weather stripping/lining under your hood (I'm not sure what the correct name is), that might be loose or damaged, especially under the front window, letting water pass generously..

Changed the plugs and wires and everything else ignition wise and it runs like a champ. Found the weatherstripping between the firewall and hood is only connected by a couple push plugs. There is nothing that seals the bottom of the weather stripping to the metal it is connected to. Found that the water runs down the window, under the weather stripping, and into the engine compartment. Hopefully I have it fixed now...I guess I will know the next time it rains.