Oil Leak And Sludge After Accident

Imsoco

I bought a 2002 Lexus RX300 for my wife with 74,000 miles on it. It ran great, no oil leaks and oil was clear. Oil was changed regularly. My wife was side swiped by a girl in a hurry trashing the side of the car and front right suspension. Seeing a slice that went through the entire side of the vehicle, I thought for sure it would be totaled, but American Family Insurance told me it was there choice to repair or replace. We sent it to their recommended mechanic with a lifetime guaranty on the work. It then started to smoke, a lot on start up, later continuously. It had to go back three times for more work, broken motor mounts, tires rubbing on the frame, etc. Then I noticed an oil leak in my driveway. We took it back to the mechanic who suddenly told me they don't do engine work only body work and no one ever look at the engine for damage. I made Am Fam pay for the trip to the dealer for an engine checkout. The dealer said it had a bad main seal and needed to be replaced for $9000. I took it to my mechanic who told me the real problem - oil sludge. He said their the dealers quote for repair was mainly to replace gaskets and clean the engine. He said that would last a few months and the problem would return. I confirmed this with others who had the oil sludge problem cleaned by a dealer. Lexus said they would cover half the cost of the cleaning, $4500. The best price I got on a rebuilt engine was $6000.

My questions:

Is it possible the accident played a part?

Could it have caused the PCV valve to clog?

Could it tweak the engine enough to cause the main seal to leak?

I know these engines are prone to cause the oil to gel and that is the only reason Lexus would cover part of the cost. I still owe $11K on a ship anchor.

-Your sludge was probably there allready. It takes a long time to acumulate sludge. Oil will still look clear with a sludgy engine.

-If your pvc valve and engine were bange maybe

-Doubtfull. The engin would have to have taken a direct hit and the maybe just mayb but if it took such a hit the seal would probably be the least of your probem.

Regards, PK

I bought a 2002 Lexus RX300 for my wife with 74,000 miles on it. It ran great, no oil leaks and oil was clear. Oil was changed regularly. My wife was side swiped by a girl in a hurry trashing the side of the car and front right suspension. Seeing a slice that went through the entire side of the vehicle, I thought for sure it would be totaled, but American Family Insurance told me it was there choice to repair or replace. We sent it to their recommended mechanic with a lifetime guaranty on the work. It then started to smoke, a lot on start up, later continuously. It had to go back three times for more work, broken motor mounts, tires rubbing on the frame, etc. Then I noticed an oil leak in my driveway. We took it back to the mechanic who suddenly told me they don't do engine work only body work and no one ever look at the engine for damage. I made Am Fam pay for the trip to the dealer for an engine checkout. The dealer said it had a bad main seal and needed to be replaced for $9000. I took it to my mechanic who told me the real problem - oil sludge. He said their the dealers quote for repair was mainly to replace gaskets and clean the engine. He said that would last a few months and the problem would return. I confirmed this with others who had the oil sludge problem cleaned by a dealer. Lexus said they would cover half the cost of the cleaning, $4500. The best price I got on a rebuilt engine was $6000.

My questions:

Is it possible the accident played a part?

Could it have caused the PCV valve to clog?

Could it tweak the engine enough to cause the main seal to leak?

I know these engines are prone to cause the oil to gel and that is the only reason Lexus would cover part of the cost. I still owe $11K on a ship anchor.

I agree with the answers given in the post above. However,our engine may be covered for sludge under the Toyota eight year warranty. Check the original purchase date (it may still qualify). If so, you would get a new engine and also, de facto because they nmeed to change it to put in the new engine, a new rear engine oil seal.