Ac Seems Strange

Just bought my first Lexus. ES300. Nice car, rides like a dream. Bought it used from a dealer and received a 60 warranty. The AC seems a bit strange at idle and I'm not sure if it is normal for this car.

At first the AC would blow hot at idle. Increase the revs at all and the cold kicked right on. Brought it in and they replaced the freon and pressure checked it. It's better now but still "clicks" on and off at low idle which also shows up on the tach(bounces). It seems if the idle was just a touch higher this wouldn't happen. The mechanic says its cycling when it clicks. I am very mechanical and have worked on cars my whole life but this is way more modern than I am used to. It idles at about 500, which seems very low.

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to clean your throttle body. I have a 2002 ES 300 and I had the same issue and if you ignore the issue your car would not turn over one day and it will drain your battery. Its the best fix for this issue, You can also have your AC check for Free at local shops if they offer it and throttle body cleaner is very cheap just go to any auto parts store and your all set.

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought my first Lexus. ES300. Nice car, rides like a dream. Bought it used from a dealer and received a 60 warranty. The AC seems a bit strange at idle and I'm not sure if it is normal for this car.

At first the AC would blow hot at idle. Increase the revs at all and the cold kicked right on. Brought it in and they replaced the freon and pressure checked it. It's better now but still "clicks" on and off at low idle which also shows up on the tach(bounces). It seems if the idle was just a touch higher this wouldn't happen. The mechanic says its cycling when it clicks. I am very mechanical and have worked on cars my whole life but this is way more modern than I am used to. It idles at about 500, which seems very low.

My car does this after the battery has been disconnected and the computer needs to reset. (I mean it does EXACTLY as you described) After a couple of days of driving it settles down and runs fine. The computer has to learn your driving habits. If nothing else is wrong in a few days, say 5, you will notice it runs fine. Mine idles smoothly at 500 rpm. When all the clicking stuff is going on it idles at less than 500 RPM. Always has and runs like a champ. Good Luck.