Inverter Failures/problems - Please Chime In..

I had my inverter replaced last year at 120000km due to a leaking inverter. It never actually failed, but I imagine it would have if I hadn't found it so soon. Someone else on here (RxFrank) posted regarding a complete failure at highway speed. I did a quick search here and found a few posts over the years and also some at www.clublexus.com

I'm just wondering if the inverter is a component that is prone to failing as the vehicle ages (though some inverter failures I found were from 'young' low mileage vehicles.

So anyway, anyone who's had an inveter failure/problem, can you mention it here and the circumstances? Thanks.

We just had the inverter WATER PUMP fail on our '04 Prius at 60,000 miles. The car has two water pumps, one for the cooling system and one for the Inverter. Here's the kicker...the inverter did not fail...and the inverter is covered under the hybrid warranty...the inverter WATER PUMP is not! Its covered under the powertrain warranty...which had expired.

I ran around and around with them about it, reminding them that the water pump would not be there unless it was a hybrid, and therefore is part of the hybrid warranty...no avail. I asked what would happen if I just did nothing...and they responded that the Inverter would fail...when I asked them then would it be covered under warranty...they had no response.

Didn't want to take the chance on a $400 repair ruining a $2,000 component so I backed off and paid to have it replace.

Apparently the water pump is a common failure...I wonder if that leads to premature inverter failures...

• 2 weeks later...

my inverter failed at 36k miles. The car died! The dashboard said...hybrid system failure. I had no steering, accelerator or braking. I was lucky I and my wife weren't killed. The car was towed to a Lexus dealer who gave me a loaner. After three days I got the car back. The cost to me was 0$ but the invoice said $8700. I will never buy another Toyota/Lexus. The dealer said it probably would not happen again.

After owning many different brands of vehicles and speaking to many owners of other vehicles (including Toyotas), I can say without a doubt that Lexus is the most reliable. We have not had one issue in over 52,000 miles. That being said, I must also mention that should something happen now, especially something that incurs no charge to us, I would never say that I would never buy a Toyota or Lexus again. I can't imagine why you would feel this way unless you've never owned a Mercedes, BMW, Audi, or Land Rover - all having far worse reliability.

What brand other than maybe Acura (and it is certainly not free of issues) would you switch to?

After owning many different brands of vehicles and speaking to many owners of other vehicles (including Toyotas), I can say without a doubt that Lexus is the most reliable. We have not had one issue in over 52,000 miles. That being said, I must also mention that should something happen now, especially something that incurs no charge to us, I would never say that I would never buy a Toyota or Lexus again. I can't imagine why you would feel this way unless you've never owned a Mercedes, BMW, Audi, or Land Rover - all having far worse reliability.

What brand other than maybe Acura (and it is certainly not free of issues) would you switch to?

Let me put it more clearly....I would never buy another Lexus/Toyota again!

When I bought the RX400H I specifically asked whether it could tow an RV/trailer weighing less than 3500pounds. I was told by Lexus that it could (its also in their literature) and they installed a trailer hitch for me. When I tried to get a brake controller installed (as required by California law for all trailers over 1500 pounds( Lexus told me that it would void my warrantee! It seems that they would have to cut into the computer system wiring to install it. Thus, my $52,000 Lexus cannot tow! Lexus I had to cancel my order for my trailer.

I would never buy another Lexus/Toyota again!

Ken

When I bought the RX400H I specifically asked whether it could tow an RV/trailer weighing less than 3500pounds. I was told by Lexus that it could (its also in their literature) and they installed a trailer hitch for me. When I tried to get a brake controller installed (as required by California law for all trailers over 1500 pounds( Lexus told me that it would void my warrantee! It seems that they would have to cut into the computer system wiring to install it. Thus, my $52,000 Lexus cannot tow! Lexus I had to cancel my order for my trailer.

Ken

I am really writing about something I know nothing about.... but I had looked into buying a sailboat with trailer (both from California - factory). The trailer came with a brake controller that did not wire into the vehicle's system: it worked through the tow handle/hitch, and the braking was proportional to the pressure with which the handle pressed onto the hitch. Thus 'automatic' modulated braking depending on need. The trailerable sailboat was a MacGregor 26M - if you look it up you may find the trailer they use (which is - obviously - legal) and this may resolve your issue (?). Good luck!

That certainly IS true. My Acura 01 TL tranny failed at 49995 miles. It failed in a VERY dangerous way too. At 45 MPH the tranny went into failure mode and downshifted into 2nd gear. Nearly caused an accident. Acura treated me well with the repair and loaner but the engineering flaw remains. It will most likely fail again in the future. If you research Acura tranny failures for 01-03 it was a big black eye for Honda.

I still keep the car because it is more economically feasable to replace the tranny one more time in the life of the car than to replace it. Other than that (yeah, it's a biggie) not one other item has failed in 10 years of service.

/Steve

Thanks for letting us know about that. Standard tranny Hondas are very reliable, that's for certain. Now my 89 Mazda MX6 GT with 150,000 miles on its auto tranny is still running well despite a couple of fluid leaks (not related to the transmission).

I surely wouldn't mind replacing the Mazda with a Lexus CT200h some day. :cheers:

The issue you are having is not towing...its cutting into the factory wiring. Of course that will void the warranty...it would on any car...

Then why did Lexus put on a trailer hitch rated to tow 3500lbs?

Not all trailers need to be connected to the car's wiring to make brakes work.

I am really writing about something I know nothing about.... but I had looked into buying a sailboat with trailer (both from California - factory). The trailer came with a brake controller that did not wire into the vehicle's system: it worked through the tow handle/hitch, and the braking was proportional to the pressure with which the handle pressed onto the hitch. Thus 'automatic' modulated braking depending on need. The trailerable sailboat was a MacGregor 26M - if you look it up you may find the trailer they use (which is - obviously - legal) and this may resolve your issue (?). Good luck!

Then why did Lexus put on a trailer hitch rated to tow 3500lbs?

Because the vehicle can tow 3,500 lbs. You just can't splice into the vehicle's wiring without voiding the warranty. Wiring and towing...two separate issues.

I have a 2006 RX400h and I love it. I get 28 miles per gallon all the time. Monday night I was pulling out of my driveway and crossing a busy four lane highway when everything died on the car. There were five people in the car and we were in the passing lane with nothing. We were going up a hill and managed to roll the car back into the center lane. When traffic cleared up a little we rolled it across two lanes and off the side of the road. It was about 6:00 in the evening. We called Lexus and they said there was nobody in service that could help us. I called a tow truck and the next morning they took it to Lexus. The first couple of days they couldn't tell me what was wrong with the car. Yesterday they told me my Hybrid inverter had went out and they were replacing it and it should be ready by the end of the day. I called once late yesterday and twice today and left messages asking if it was ready. I'm still waiting to find out. Will let you know what happens.

Ken

So get something else and stop whining already...if you can afford a Lexus, get something else and move on for Pete's sake. To make a blanket statement about the entire company seems a bit rash...but be happy and do what you say and get something else. Believe me, you will not have any problems selling your amazing car. Actually, I too have made blanket statements; I will not buy an American car...so I do understand...that's why I ONLY buy Toyota /Lexus cars.