'replace Drivers Seat - From '99Ls To "97Ls

sgretchko

After 185k, the drivers seat in my '97 LS is in poor shape. I got a great seat from a '99LS, same color in good shape from a scrapyard. It fit perfect physically, the main wiring harnesses plugged in fine. The plastic harness from the seat belt receptor (the part you plug the belt into) did not fit. (It appears I can cut the plugs and wire it without the plastic, but I hesitate to do this).

In any case, the power features of the seat did not work. No way to adjust. Any suggestions? I am thinking that I need to take the wiring harnesses and control module from the '97 seat and put it in the '99 seat. I am open to any ideas. Thank you.

I tried to make that swap a while back, and I noticed all the right colored wires are there, they are just not matched up right. and I didnt have the tool to remove them and match them up. that is all you would need to do, if you have the right equipment. I didnt want to cut and wrap wires....

I hope you are right. If I cut off the plastic plugs and connect the wires (I will use connectors rather than just splice and tape wires), it should work. Alternatively, I am planning on calling the scrapyard and seeing if they have the "seat belt receptor" with the attached harness from the '99. The plastic connectors should them match and fit, completing the loop.

I will try that first. I hope it works since the '97 seat is bothering my back and the '99 seat seems so much more comfortable. If not, I am open to suggestions for "Plan B". Thanks.

Still no luck. I received the seat belt buckle with the proper harness from the auto graveyard. I connected it and the power features would not work. I noticed the part numbers on the control boxes were different. My next step will be to switch control boxes (from bad '97 seat to good '99 seat) and see if I can get it to work.

If that doesn't work, I may try to separate the top of the seat from the lower frame and put the new seat on the old frame. This would result in "rebuilt" seating surfaces but may be too difficult. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be happy to hear them. Thank you.

I didnt have to go that far, neither of mine were bad, but my 97 is a coach edition and has the perforated seats in it and I was going to put them into the 99, just do a swap, but the connecter wiring was different, so I made no exchange, didnt know the seat belt would be an issue.

I dont have any knowledge to share with you, but if you make it we can all gain by your experience, good luck.

post-5365-12800686423_thumb.jpg