Buying 1995 Ls

skyview

I am looking at a 95 LS with 89K miles on it. The car looks and sounds great. I would be the fourth owner. The present owner has replaced the catalytic converter and gas tank. The car passed all of the Autocheck checks.

Question: How can you tell if the car has air suspension and trackion control?

I realize that the 90K service is soon due. How long can one go without changing the timing belt and water pump? Is there anything else that I should be concerned about?

Does anyone know of a good 3rd party repair shop in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area?

Thanks In Advance!

this is how air struts look like:

airstruts.jpg

and there are 2 extra push bottons assoiated with air struts located left to shift stick: sport-normal and high-normal.

basically, you don't want air suspension b/c it can become a time bomb sitting in your wallet.

few months back, I wrote an used LS400 buyer guide but lost in the big 'server crash':

http://www.apaqdigital.com/ls400/ls400_guide.htm

you may want to take a look.

good luck!

I am looking at a 95 LS with 89K miles on it. The car looks and sounds great.  I would be the fourth owner. The present owner has replaced the catalytic converter and gas tank. The car passed all of the Autocheck checks.

Question: How can you tell if the car has air suspension and trackion control?

I realize that the 90K service is soon due. How long can one go without changing the timing belt and water pump? Is there anything else that I should be concerned about?

Does anyone know of a good 3rd party repair shop in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area?

Thanks In Advance!

To start off, I should mention toyota hasn't used Catalytic converters for more than a decade, so you may want to clarify what he/she really changed, and why did he/she replace the fuel tank?

If your LS has Trac and an Airsuspension, you'll find switches for them on the base part of the shifter(Airsuspension), and Trac OFF switch just above the Ashtray. You're going to have lights for the both in the gauge cluster.

I have to disagree with wandawood regarding the airsuspension. I think it's worth it, especially if you have a full car of people. that sag makes me nervous. As long as you remember to turn the Airsuspension off before someone lifts your car up, it'd be okay.

Regarding you timing belt and water pump question, that all depends on the condition of the cars block. Lexus recommends replacing them @ 90k, but I've read posts where people haven't replaced their Timing belt and water pump for another 50k. I would suggest you think about replacing the water pump, and test the strength of the timing belt periodically. You can spray it occasionally, so that it doesn't dry up often.

there are several people who live near the Tech Triangle, so they'll be able to help you with that.

Wandawood, good link.

Good-luck.

you can adjust height of air sus from normal to high or sporty drive, bit i don't believe you can 'turn it off'.

air sus can still be good for a few years for a relatively new car, but for a 10-year old 95, air sus can go bad on you anytime and costs $3K plus to replace all 4.

unlike conventional sus, when air sus goes bad, it virtually makes your car almost 'undriveable'. it makes your car sinking very low, and even a slight uneven pavement or bump would make you feel like a wild boat ride. also, it's a big risk of hitting pavement on every curb turn. that's how I got a few big bruises on the well of spare tire under carriage.

I used to have air sus on my 94, after converted them to hydraulic struts, I don't really feel any noticeable difference. but that can be just a personal taste...

for a 95, odds are not good, but it's your call, of course.