Throttle Body Issues

Reed Hunt

(Edit - sorry, title is not very complete, my bad)

Had my 2005 GX with 70,000 miles at the dealer recently and he came back with a laundry list of items, including:

• Dirty throttle body
  • Front and rear diff fluid service
  • Power steering fluid service
  • Front/rear brake service
  • Leaking radiator
  • Battery failing load test
  • Lube prop shafts
  • Various filters need replacing

Of these, the biggest questions for me include the throttle body (is this common?), the radiator (best place to buy other than at the dealer, as he wanted $917 for just the damn part!), and filters (best place to buy, other than the dealer)?

Replies appreciated.

Thx.

I highly recommend mylexparts.com for cheap Lexus Parts: its a Lexus Dealership in Roseville, CA. I used to purchase from Sewell Lexus in Texas, but mylexparts have proven themselves as cheaper, honest, and QUICK.

I have a GX470 as well. I would recommend replacing brakes and rotors: if the delaership says just machine rotors DON'T DO IT. GX rotors have been known to warp especially when they are so thin. The cost for replacing the rotors compared to machining them is almost identical. Also if you machine them and they do warp, then you will have to buy new rotors and brake pads. The price for rotors is so cheap at mylexparts, I highly recommend buying new rotors.

You're going to find the filters, rotors, and pads much more cheaper than the dealership at mylexparts. I don't know about the radiator.

I highly recommend mylexparts.com for cheap Lexus Parts: its a Lexus Dealership in Roseville, CA. I used to purchase from Sewell Lexus in Texas, but mylexparts have proven themselves as cheaper, honest, and QUICK.

I have a GX470 as well. I would recommend replacing brakes and rotors: if the delaership says just machine rotors DON'T DO IT. GX rotors have been known to warp especially when they are so thin. The cost for replacing the rotors compared to machining them is almost identical. Also if you machine them and they do warp, then you will have to buy new rotors and brake pads. The price for rotors is so cheap at mylexparts, I highly recommend buying new rotors.

You're going to find the filters, rotors, and pads much more cheaper than the dealership at mylexparts. I don't know about the radiator.

Great response, thanks very much. The mylex site has the radiator for $577, which is still a lot but WAY better than my dealer. And yes, you nailed it on the head regarding brakes - my advisor did suggest that the rotors be turned, which, coming from the BMW camp, is highly frowned upon. And, as you mentioned, rotors just aren't that expensive to buy...

Will check the price of filters, too, and I expect them to be less as well.

One more - do folks tend to stick with factory pads or go with something else? The stock pads actually are pretty good, dust-wise, so no real complaints, but just wondering.

Thanks again.