Bass Question - Get A Rattle

Just bought a 02' es300 with the mark levinson sound system for a second car. Love the sound but when I adjusted the audio settings I now hear a rattle from the sub in the back. When i have the stereo on and I go in the trunk and touch the sub the rattle goes away. Could it be anything other than blown? maybe loose or the fittings old?

ty

Just bought a 02' es300 with the mark levinson sound system for a second car. Love the sound but when I adjusted the audio settings I now hear a rattle from the sub in the back. When i have the stereo on and I go in the trunk and touch the sub the rattle goes away. Could it be anything other than blown? maybe loose or the fittings old?

ty

I am not a audio guru, nor do I have a Levinson system, however if you can hear sound/bass coming from the sub then I would not call it blown. Simple things first. If the sub is mounted open in the trunk like on the standard Lexus Premium audio install, check that all the mountings are tight. Also check that the rear deck material is tight and not vibrating. A reach I admit, but there could be a forgein object that has fallen into the top of the cone, in wich case you would have to unmount the speaker and shake it out.

Short of this, it may be that the cone is damaged or the coil is. Nothing better than a great sound system and a summer drive in your favorite Lexus.

• 1 month later...

ty

The speaker is blown. You will need to take it out and repair the foam around the edge or replace the speaker. I will almost guarantee you the foam on top of the speaker is broken right next to the black plastic ring that goes aroud the top of the speaker. I repaired mine with Shoe Goo, a flexible adhesive, and it sounds fine now. A replacement speaker from Lexus is over $350.00. There is a good link on this site that talks about getting to the speaker. Search for replacing subwoofer or something like that. You take the back seat out, one or both of the C pillars and the back deck top. You cannot get it out from the trunk. I did this last weekend and should have taken pictures but I didn't. Good Luck.

If the foam surround is torn as suggested, do a Google search for replacement speaker foam. Lots of places sell it and it will be the correct material to repair the speaker. I repaired a pair of Infinity bookshelf speakers last year and it was easy and looks brand new now.

• 2 weeks later...