95 Ls 400 Won't Start

JWhite

Cranks but does not fire up. Sometimes I would hear a spinning noise in the starter when I would start her up so that leads me to thinking it is the starter. Maybe there could be an ignition problem. Any simple tests to do at home that might give me an idea?

Cranks but does not fire up. Sometimes I would hear a spinning noise in the starter when I would start her up so that leads me to thinking it is the starter. Maybe there could be an ignition problem. Any simple tests to do at home that might give me an idea?

Assuming that the engine is cranking over robustly, it is not a starter issue. Is it even trying to run? Simple tests would be checking for spark and fuel. Pull a spark plug wire from each bank and check for spark. If no spark, you can start chasing ignition issues. If you have spark, get a can of starter fluid and spray into the air intake while cranking. If it momentarily runs, you have fuel issues. This does not nail down the precise problem but does get things isolated.

Assuming that the engine is cranking over robustly, it is not a starter issue. Is it even trying to run? Simple tests would be checking for spark and fuel. Pull a spark plug wire from each bank and check for spark. If no spark, you can start chasing ignition issues. If you have spark, get a can of starter fluid and spray into the air intake while cranking. If it momentarily runs, you have fuel issues. This does not nail down the precise problem but does get things isolated.

Fuel pressure was fine but no spark. Turned out to be the crank position sensor. Back on the road again.