2006 Rx 400H Steering

I have a 2006 RX-400h with 55,000km on it and am experiencing rough or "notched" steering particularly at low speeds when turning left off of centre. Has anyone experienced this before? Were you able to remedy this? There is a Technical Service Bulletin (SSC-9-LC) which deals with "noticeable gradual increase in steering effort at low speeds" but I don't think this is what I'm experiencing.

There was a recall a while back that involved steering components. (not sure if that's the TSB you referred to) Have you had this service done? Ours has about 52,000 miles on it and we've never had any issues whatsoever.

I have a 2006 RX-400h with 55,000km on it and am experiencing rough or "notched" steering particularly at low speeds when turning left off of centre. Has anyone experienced this before? Were you able to remedy this? There is a Technical Service Bulletin (SSC-9-LC) which deals with "noticeable gradual increase in steering effort at low speeds" but I don't think this is what I'm experiencing.

I too have a 2006 RX400h

Thanks for posting this...I thought it was just me and just thought it was my tires getting older. I didn't know how to describe it but you did a good job. I live in a condo and in the large parking garage with typical smooth,lacquered concrete floors, I feel it when I am turning tightly and slowly. The first time that I felt this I thought that I had a flat. Let me know what you find out. I didn't mention it the last time I took my car in but I will. But if you find something out beforehand, please post. Rey

As mentioned, there is an internal Lexus "service campaign" (i.e. the government hadn't mandated a 'recall' but Lexus is doing this on their own) to replace the entire steering rack. Make sure that's been done (both of you). If you're not the original owner, call Lexus, give your VIN and they can tell you if the recall...err..service campaign has been done.

As mentioned, there is an internal Lexus "service campaign" (i.e. the government hadn't mandated a 'recall' but Lexus is doing this on their own) to replace the entire steering rack. Make sure that's been done (both of you). If you're not the original owner, call Lexus, give your VIN and they can tell you if the recall...err..service campaign has been done.

They did the recall work the first year I bought it my rx400h...I bought it brand new in Jan 2006...so I don't know what this is....but it is ONLY in my garage and when I am turning tightly to leave the underground parking area.

They did the recall work the first year I bought it my rx400h...I bought it brand new in Jan 2006...so I don't know what this is....but it is ONLY in my garage and when I am turning tightly to leave the underground parking area.

As far as I know, the 'campaign' didn't come into effect until early 2009. Are you sure you're thinking of the right thing? Lexus will replace the entire steering rack. Lexus calls it 'service campaign 90A'. It may or may not solve what you're experiencing, but it should be done regardless.

I agree with Lemon. Ours was done last year.

Hmm, I guess it was something different.....interesting...I guess they won't say anything at the dealership unless we do? Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about the recall issue a while back when the car came out...OK, I'll get on it.

The steering recall was issued January 16, 2009. Service bulletin SSC-9-LC. Apparently the magnets were coming loose within the steering link assembly (the rack).

My rack was done in August of last year and I'm told now that it needs to be replaced again as the "notchiness" sensation has surfaced. The question is now whether or not the new rack is covered under warranty. Lexus Canada tells me that a part replaced under a recall has a unique warranty limited to 1 year and 20,000km from date of installation. The dealer is saying a replaced recall component is only warrantied under the vehicle's regular warranty coverage and has no unique warranty. I'm going back and forth on this issue right now. I will issue a separate topic on recall component warranty coverage.

KS

The steering recall was issued January 16, 2009. Service bulletin SSC-9-LC. Apparently the magnets were coming loose within the steering link assembly (the rack).

My rack was done in August of last year and I'm told now that it needs to be replaced again as the "notchiness" sensation has surfaced. The question is now whether or not the new rack is covered under warranty. Lexus Canada tells me that a part replaced under a recall has a unique warranty limited to 1 year and 20,000km from date of installation. The dealer is saying a replaced recall component is only warrantied under the vehicle's regular warranty coverage and has no unique warranty. I'm going back and forth on this issue right now. I will issue a separate topic on recall component warranty coverage.

KS

I would think Lexus of Canada would know more than the dealership.