Valve Spring Recall

I did some research regarding the Valve Spring recall on selected Lexus models and learned my car is a victim. After confirming this with Lexus Customer service, I then called my dealer only to be told they have no information yet. This is quite disturbing...why has Lexus announced this without getting dealerships involved. Since a consequence to this issue states the car could stall, loosing power (at any speed at at any time)!

Very disappointed that the dealership cannot even run a test to measure the severity. Hope my car lasts until the repair plan/parts are distributed.

:angry:

According to a recent USA Today article and other sources, this is a voluntary recall on the part of Lexus. They are in the beginning stages of it. Just like any other recall there is a process the manufacturer must go through. If your car does not exhibit any of the symptoms then you probably don't have a problem. The stalling was listed as a "rare instance". Read below:

Lexus Announces Intention to Recall Certain U.S. Market Vehicles to Replace Engine Valve Springs

TORRANCE, Calif. (July 2, 2010) -- Lexus, a division of Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc., today announced that it has informed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of its intention to file a Defect Information Report (DIR) regarding approximately 138,000 Lexus vehicles, powered by 4.6 and 5.0 liter V8 and 3.5 liter V6 engines in certain 2006, 2007 and 2008 GS, IS and LS models in the U.S. The formal report will be filed the week of July 5.

In the covered vehicles, due to slight variations during the manufacturing process, some foreign material may have contaminated a small number of the valve springs. If a vehicle is affected, there is a remote possibility that abnormal engine noise or idling may occur. In extremely rare instances, the engine may stop while the vehicle is in operation.

Lexus estimates that the likelihood of a customer vehicle experiencing this condition is two-tenths of one percent (0.2 %). Lexus has received no reports of accidents or injuries related to this condition. No vehicles from the current 2010 model year nor 2009 are affected.

Lexus will send owners of the involved vehicles a recall notification via first class mail. Owners are requested to contact their local Lexus dealer for diagnosis and repair after receiving their notification. The repair will involve replacement of the engine’s valve springs at no charge.

Owners can continue to drive their vehicles. If symptoms are noticed, such as vibration, rough idling, unusual engine sounds or poor performance, the vehicle should be brought to a Lexus dealer for service.

Certain Lexus vehicles produced among the following models and years are covered:

GS350 2007 2008

GS450h 2007 2008

GS460 2008

IS350 2006 2007 2008

LS460 2007 2008

LS460L 2007 2008

LS600hL 2008

Customers with questions or concerns should contact the Customer Experience Center at 1-800-255-3987.

steviej

Thanks Stevej,

Since Toyota knew of this since 2007 and their recent track record one should be concerned.

Concerned, sure, but I wouldn't lose any sleep, again especially if you aren't showing any symptoms.

Give the dealership some time, this always happens. It hits the internet and media before the dealerships are ready to receive the onslaught of worried customer. Years ago (pre-internet) you were notified by snail mail, and by then the dealerships were ready.

steviej

• 2 years later...

Guess I'm one of the lucky 0.2%. I got the letter last quarter, and they used a camera to look inside the engine to confirm the issue. I've had to wait almost six weeks for the parts to come in, but tomorrow I drop off my car for a full piston and valve replacement. It's a day labor, and they say the engine will be running like new once they're done. With 108k on my car, I'm looking forward to it!

• 2 years later...

The value spring replacement is a non-issue for most, those within the range of specific engines had value springs replaced. My dealership gave me a decent Lexus loaner car, full tank of gas, and $500 gift card.

The carboning problem resulting in piston and valve replacement is a separate issue, (not the same as value springs).