Leather Seat Conditioner

Hey, you go your Land Cruiser!! Post some pics of it.

I do it by hand too, it just like putting on lotion on your hands; the cloth just absorbs the product so whats the use of it.

:cheers:

I'm planning on it but I want to do a full detail on it first. The dang thing is a monster to do. :blink:

Yea, the conditioner directions even say to wet the towel so it doesnt absorb too much of it, wtf, just use your hands. B)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when you say you applied the conditioner three times, did you wipe off in between each one, or just add more on top of previous layer?

I didn't wipe off the seats between applications. I allowed the leather to absorb the conditioner then I would go back and apply more. After the 3rd application I let in bake for a while then wiped the seats with a clean, dry towel. Most of the conditioner was absorbed so there was not very much excess to wipe off.

DG

• 3 weeks later...

sorry, i know this is an old thread, but hear me out.

i've been hearing rave reviews about lexol, but haven't been able to find it anywhere. my friend recommended Meguiar's Rich Leather Foam. i was wondering if anybody else has tried this on their leather seats. thanks!

I haven't had quite as an "exciting" experience with lexol as some of you have had, not a "bad" experience mind you. One question about the cleaner, what do you use to clean, a towel, foam pad? I seem to be unable to get the "dirty" areas of my leather couch (no, it is not in my car) to come as clean as I would think it should & also my passenger side seat (this on IS in the car) looks as though it has water stain as if a puddle sat in the seat, that doesn't seem to want to comr out either. The conditioner seems to work well though...

You definitely should spot test though. It did a number on my old leather recliner and not a good number.

What specifically did it do? I did notice the rag had some of the color on it after cleaning

You definitely should spot test though.  It did a number on my old leather recliner and not a good number.

What specifically did it do? I did notice the rag had some of the color on it after cleaning

Kinda gave it an odd texture and seemed to degrade the splitting that was already occuring. I know that sounds odd but best way I can explain it.

has anyone tried leatherique products?

B) I have been using Leatherique for 8 years now. I have used the conditioner, the pristine clean, the crack filler and dye. They are all tremendous products. I have tried almost every other cleaner/conditioner made and none come close to Leatherique. For those of you using Lexol be careful. Lexol contains alcohol and after prolonged use it will destroy the threads in the stitching. Don't ask how I know this or I'll break down and cry again.

B) Don't ask how I know this or I'll break down and cry again.

No offense, but its worth it to me to make you cry. B)

:( I have a 300 SL Gullwing that I have owned since 1973 and used it strictly as a show car. In order to have it properly prepared, part of the regimen was to make certain that the seats were nice and supple and looking "pretty" and I used Lexol. After about 10 years of usage of the Lexol, I noticed that the seat stitching was starting to fray. I called a re-upholsterer who did nothing but autos to look at what I thought to be a minor problem. His inspection was very quick and to the point. He told me that Lexol was wonderful for the leather but the alcohol in it was destroying the stitching to the point where it was too far gone and the seats would either have to be replaced or re-done. Being the Master that he was he was able to re-stitch both seats and replaced the threads. It was amazing as to how fragile the stitching was; to the point that you could snap it without any effort.

Even though all is fine the price tag to get it repaired was high and the effort to get it done right was more than I would ever want to do again.

There you go, I responded and didn't shed a tear.

Quote: There you go, I responded and didn't shed a tear. lkirchner

~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

Brave man (me I be sobbing like a child)

Thank you for posting that info. I sorry to hear about your expensive lesson with Lexol, but I hope you won’t mind if I quote you on other forums to help reiterate what I’ve been saying for many years about the detrimental alcohol content of Lexol and other leather care products Perhaps your lesson will help save others your painful experience

For real leather care products, toll free number 1 877 395-3366, and website www.leatherique.com

PS: The 300 MB Gullwing, wow. Only had the pleasure to detail one (thus far)

~ Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I apologize for being so slow. I can certainly prove that the alcohol in Lexol Leather Conditioner will not eat away the stitching of leather car seats after years of repeated use. There is not any alcohol in Lexol Leather Conditioner and there never has been any at least not in the 26 years that I have been involved with the product.

Lexol Leataher Conditioner is basically a leataher fat-liquor of the type that is used on all leather as part of the manufacturing process. Lexol Leather Conditioner will not damage the stitching of leather car seats. If someone is saying otherwise, they are lying to you.

Don Jenkins

Lexol Technical Consultant

:chairshot:

:ph34r:

B) I have been using Leatherique for 8 years now. I have used the conditioner, the pristine clean, the crack filler and dye. They are all tremendous products. I have tried almost every other cleaner/conditioner made and none come close to Leatherique. For those of you using Lexol be careful. Lexol contains alcohol and after prolonged use it will destroy the threads in the stitching. Don't ask how I know this or I'll break down and cry again.

Is there a retail store where I can buy leatherique products.

I have an SC400 1992, the driver side seat has some cracks, but no openings.

I am not sure about the leather color match (think I have ivory :( ), and hence would prefer to show to a retailer in person before buying dye.

Thanks

-ML

Baby Oil would be a really bad idea, not to mention it would definately stain and darken the interior, make the leather surfaces slippery, and the solvents in the oil would eat away at the stitching.

With automotive coated leathers you really want to stick to dedicated leather conditioners.

I'm not sure I follow you. You want an expensive fix for the seats? Yet you wanted to try Baby Oil?

My guess is you are looking for something INEXPENSIVE to use on the seats in the Concorde. Well, honestly there's not much you can use. You can clean the leather with a solution of Woolite and water (run a search) but I really don't reccomend using anything "on the cheap" to condition leather seats. Most automotive leather is coated and using things like Coco butter for instance can destroy that protective coating and ruin the leather not to mention stain the stitching. A bottle of good leather conditioner like Lexol really doesn't cost that much... $4 or so.

i wasnt clear, sorry.

i want an all natural leather conditioner. not like meguaires or that sutff, but real, old fashioned leather coditioner.  and i knwo its going to be expensive...thats what i meant to say  :lol:

Well that will be Lexol, or Leatherique, or Connoly hide food etc.

Really though there isn't much you can do to condition the seats on the concorde because they're coated, probably something like Meguiars or Zymol leather conditioners would be fine. You don't want to use an "old fashioned leather conditioner" because the leather isn't "old fashioned".