Leather Seat Conditioner

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay my front seats are hard to the touch, becuase of the sun, the back seats are soft because i have tinted windows, so does any one know how i can make my front ones soft again, and clean them in the mean time.

thanks.

i use eagle one leather cleaner/conditioner all around my seats. makes them feel brand new when i'm done with them.

how often do you do that to your seats?

i want to make them like they just came of the dealer,

is that even possible, other than buying new seats.

or is there some type of oil that if i keep on applying , that it will soak it up and become soft again.

First of all, stay away from any "combination Cleaner/Conditioner". The most respected product on the market is LEXOL. I have used their cleaner and conditioners for my last 4 vehicles and have always had great looking and feeling leather - ALWAYS, LIKE NEW..

If you've never treated your seats before, wash them as directed with the cleaner and then very generously apply the conditioner. After a couple of hours wipe down with a clean towel and reapply another shot of condtioner. YOU WILL BE AMAZED!l

I have used the Lexol products and they work as advertized. My GS300 is almost 11 year old and been thru two kids and it looks pretty good. Some aging/wear is normal, but you can get much of the softness and color back. Also, try it on the arm rests, ignition area, center console, etc. (my driver side looked awful, and the lexol and some elbow grease made it look new again). :D

• 2 weeks later...

where do you buy lexol on-line. My hardware store has it for $8 in small spray bottle.

This may sound crazie, has anyone tried using a hand lotion like lubriderm on there leather seats? I have used it on shoes and leather coat... it made them like new, I wonder if the seat work also benefit. Not that lexol has not worked and it does give that new car/leather smell everytime.

A hand lotion isn't going to do anything good for the seats. For one thing your seats are probably coated so very little of the lotion would soak in, and the rest would just clog the pores in the coating. Second the oils are of a different type and would definately darken the leather.

I'd buy it from your hardware store, thats not a bad price.

i used it after the replys to this post and i just became a loyal LEXOL customer, from now on, that is the best product ever, at least so far,

alli did was follow directions, and let it sit for atleast a day

the instructions say 3 hours but i did it for a day so that it would soak it up, i then applyed an other conditioner layer the next day and turned out fantastic, like brand new

DIRECTIONS

http://www.lexol.com/docs.html

thats all you need

:cheers:

After doing several searches for my newly acquired GS400 I found out that several forums recommend a product called BICK 4. It is found in horse and saddle shops. It is used for conditioning saddles. My fiancee's dad says its the best stuff he's ever used and all he has owned are Mercedes. After researching the different forums (ie. jag, cadillac, merecedes) I found that they like this stuff pretty good. They follow it up with the Eagle One Conditioner. There was actually a good write up on how Lexol has too many silicons in it which is not good for the leather. I am going to try and find some tomorrow and see how it works. I will post my results later this week. I have used Lexol on my Supra so I know how that works. We'll see what I think after the end of the week. Later

Omar

1994 Toyota Supra 819rwhp

1998 GS 400

I wouldn't use anything on the seats that you use on a saddle for the main reason that the two leathers are very different. Saddle leather is uncoated and much thicker and tougher than automotive leather.

As for Lexol, upholstery shops use it and reccomend it and they're leather experts.

I was also skeptical of lexol products. but i had a nice weekend to try it out and i did. i thoroghly cleaned the leather with it, and i was amazed at how clean it got my leather, it totally lightened the leather a couple of shades back to new color. i then applied the conditioner about 3-4 times, vigorously rubbing it in all over. i let it dry for a couple of hours and man i couldn't believe how good it worked, my leather seemed to mold to my butt in the chair, it was awesome, so much softer than before. and after a day of baking in the sun the conditioner was completly absorbed and dried, it was really worth it, it did wonders. about where to find it, i got my spray bottles at pep boys for about 8-9 dollars a piece, but u can find the bigger containers cheaper on ebay if u want to go that route.

• 1 month later...

I bought Lexol based on the recommendations of this forum. It works really well, and it does make the leather seats very supple and smooth. In my experience, however, you definitely can tell when it's time for a re-coat. Overall, I would highly recommend Lexol.

actually lexol isn't the best product for restoring leahter. its just a good product for maintaning leather. ;)

the best product i''ve heard for restoring leather is Leatherique, but i haven't tried it yet.

you really don't want your leather to be shiny do you??? it looks cheap if its shiny IMO.

if you really want it shiny just go buy a 3 dollar bottle of leather wipes or leahter cleaner at autozone, that'll make it shine :o

i've always stayed clear of the products that make it shiny, i use lexol, and it works great :D

okay my front seats are hard to the touch, becuase of the sun, the back seats are soft because i have tinted windows, so does any one know how i can make my front ones soft again, and clean them in the mean time.

thanks.

Check out www.zainobros.com

I think their leather care products do an incredible job. I've a 91 Buick Reatta Convertible as one of my daily drivers. The seats are leather and I've kept them looking and feeling like new with Zaino products. Also suggest you check out the Autopia websited for professional advise on leather care:

http://www.autopia.org/index.php

I can see where you are coming from. No, I'm not a Zaino rep or salesman; don't own stock in it either (it's privately held, darn it). I'm actually a retired physician, but I am really favorably impressed with Zaino products. About 2 1/2years ago, I researched car care products to the nth degree (I'm an internist); tried and compared several, searched reviews, etc. and finally got around to Zaino. My car looked better than it did new on the showroom floor. I was asked spontaneously by several people how I liked my "new" car. It was an 11 year old 91 Reatta. Even got really favorable comments from the service people at the GM dealerships. That had never happened with anything else I'd ever used; and I date back to the old yellow can Simonize days when we applied tire blacking with a paintbrush and painted the back of car bumpers. Appearance and durability are both the qualities where I think Zaino excels. Check out the autopia website. Those guys are detailing fanatics (worse than me). They have a fair share of Zaino, Klasse, Meguires, etc. devotees. I guess all of us have our preferences. I continue to research and try new car care products. This weekend I plan to try out a new product, "Waxing Frenzy". It is a marine product. I've heard some incredible claims for it's use on cars (Like the ones I heard about Zaino 2 1/2 years ago), so I'm going to do half a car with it and Zaino the other half.

BTW, Zaino does offer a Money Back if it doesn't do what they say!!!

Zaino Bros' Show Car Polish™ is the easiest polish you will ever use. There is nothing on the market that compares to Show Car Polish products. Guaranteed! Our Show Car Polish products have been written up in publications such as Popular Mechanics, Hot Rod, Street Rodder, Truckin, Vette, Popular Hot Rodding, Super Chevy, Corvette Fever and Custom Rodder, and many more. We were rated #1 in Corvette World magazine, #1 in Corvette Fever Magazine's product test of leading car polishes and waxes for highest gloss, easy to use and longest protection. Most recently, we were also named #1 by The Wax Test and Guru Reports who tested 46 waxes, so you don't have to!

Zaino's leather care products are good, but again expensive. I see no use when Woolite+ water does such a good job.

silvermate- Zaino users tend to have very one track minds ;)