Question About A 91 Ls400 Air Shocks And 99 Ls400 Headlights

rrose1968

Ok, first of all, on a 1991 LS400, is there any way to manually fill the air shocks? Both rears are down, fronts stay up but never hear the pump kick on. I'm switching to a kit from Strutmasters anyway as even though the car has 200,000 there is absolutely nothing else wrong with it. So why get rid of it. But in the meantime, I wish there was a way to manually fill the shocks so I can at least keep it driven umtil fixed.

Second question: 1999 LS400, why exactly do the headlights go up and down when they come on? Is it just some type of self-leveler, because it doesn't look like the type of headlights that move with turns.

The 91 is the 1st Lexus I have ever had, bought it 19 months ago. In great condition and I liked it so much, I bought a black 99 LS400. A world of difference between the 2 even though both have 200,000 miles. However the 99 was a lease vehicle for around 8 years in Florida, transferred to Knoxville, sold to a guy who traded it after a year, then I got it at auction. Well taken care of.

Thanks for the help.

Robert

I can help you only on your second question although I've never heard of manually pumping up the air suspension of an LS400.

There are sensors on both the front and rear suspensions of the 98-00 LS400 with HID that sense how heavily the car is loaded and send the information to an ECU that sets the low beam headlight level each time the car is started. These sensors are similar to those on your 91 LS that determine the height of the car body on its air suspension. My repair manuals show the same height sensors on the front and rear suspension being used for both the air suspension and headlight self leveling on 98-00 LS400's that have both HID and air suspension.

I can help you only on your second question although I've never heard of manually pumping up the air suspension of an LS400.

There are sensors on both the front and rear suspensions of the 98-00 LS400 with HID that sense how heavily the car is loaded and send the information to an ECU that sets the low beam headlight level each time the car is started. These sensors are similar to those on your 91 LS that determine the height of the car body on its air suspension. My repair manuals show the same height sensors on the front and rear suspension being used for both the air suspension and headlight self leveling on 98-00 LS400's that have both HID and air suspension.

Well that's cool! These cars (so far) are really nice and seem to be dependable, except for that air suspension. But after 17-18 years it was bound to go sometime. And they ride smooooooth. But I admit, the 99 powertrain seems a lot better than the 91. Smoother, more power. I guess that's technology. Only reason I'm replacing the air suspension with shocks/struts is the car is paid for at 205,000 and I am certain that I may be able to get another 100,000 out of it. Timing belt, plugs, wires, tires (Michelin) and all that were changed after I bought it. And even though it's a 1991, it still looks modern inside & out.

• 5 months later...

Well that's cool! These cars (so far) are really nice and seem to be dependable, except for that air suspension. But after 17-18 years it was bound to go sometime. And they ride smooooooth. But I admit, the 99 powertrain seems a lot better than the 91. Smoother, more power. I guess that's technology. Only reason I'm replacing the air suspension with shocks/struts is the car is paid for at 205,000 and I am certain that I may be able to get another 100,000 out of it. Timing belt, plugs, wires, tires (Michelin) and all that were changed after I bought it. And even though it's a 1991, it still looks modern inside & out.

i was wondering cause i bought my 91' ls400 two years ago 194,000 mile runs great just that rear air suspensions are down. im missing a piece of bushing in the rear pasenger side wich i fixed all ready but they rattle some times. its also my first car and im trying to get as much miles as i can.

can any one give me a tip!!! thankz

juan