1998 Ls 400

Dash warning message showed brake light out. Visual outside inspection shows top right hand light bulb dead. Would appreciate guidance and advice on: what type bulb needed, how to get at assembly from trunk and what installation steps are needed. Thank you for your assistance.

If you talking about a bulb in the light assembly on the right rear fender and not on the trunk lid, access to the bulbs is not from inside the trunk. Open the trunk lid and look for two small, round dime size pop off plastic covers on the inward side of the fender mounted tail light assembly. Pop off these two covers, remove the two screws and the entire light assembly should come right out.

The vehicle's owners manual has this information.

Actually, it doesn't. Instructions for replacing bulbs are not in the later LS400 owners manuals like they were in owners manuals for the first generation LS400.

If you talking about a bulb in the light assembly on the right rear fender and not on the trunk lid, access to the bulbs is not from inside the trunk. Open the trunk lid and look for two small, round dime size pop off plastic covers on the inward side of the fender mounted tail light assembly. Pop off these two covers, remove the two screws and the entire light assembly should come right out.

I have a tutorial I made on my 90 which probably isn't much different. It should be on here but if not, send me a message and I will emaol it to you.

The procedure for replacing the taillight bulbs in the fender light assemblies in the 98-00 LS is very different than for the 90-94 LS -- your instructions are not going to help the original poster.

A 98-00 LS fender mounted taillight assembly can be removed in about 30 seconds without removing any of the inside trunk trim like has to be done on the 90-94 LS400. It is much easier on a 98-00 LS than on a 90-94 LS -- I just went out to the garage and popped a taillight assembly off my 00 LS and had it reinstalled in about one minute.

I have a tutorial I made on my 90 which probably isn't much different. It should be on here but if not, send me a message and I will emaol it to you.

The procedure for replacing the taillight bulbs in the fender light assemblies in the 98-00 LS is very different than for the 90-94 LS -- your instructions are not going to help the original poster.

A 98-00 LS fender mounted taillight assembly can be removed in about 30 seconds without removing any of the inside trunk trim like has to be done on the 90-94 LS400. It is much easier on a 98-00 LS than on a 90-94 LS -- I just went out to the garage and popped a taillight assembly off my 00 LS and had it reinstalled in about one minute.

That's a very nice piece of information and it saved me a lot of time. I was going to tear the trunk liner to replace the stop light bulb before I read this information. I did the stop light bulb replacement in less than one minute in a 96 LS400.