Help! Stereo/electronic/start Up Problem!

Goose7

I had several issues replacing the stereo in my 1996 ls400, when I put the key into the ignition everything works fine. The time, date, and settings are saved. If I start my car after just turning my key to turn on the radio everything is reset. You might think, it's the battery line that goes into the after market stereo, but it's not we have several lines going to the stereo from there. BUT the really weird thing is that if I set everything up the way I want it, shut the car off, then start it up right away everything is saved. If anyone has any advice please help inform me.

For example, I drove to work today with all the settings the way I want them. If I go start my car they will be saved, but if I turn the key and let the radio play then start the car, everything will be lost.

Sounds like the stereo needs an always on +12VDC line to keep some storage RAM from getting lost. That seems strange as typically such keep alive circuitry is either non-volatile memory (flash) or a battery backed RAM.

I'd read the stereo manual and see if it needs an unswitched line and if so make sure that gets to battery line. One last thought if the stereo has a rechargeable battery in it for these keep alive parameters maybe it has to be turned on for a few hours to recharge...

Did the new stereo come with an adapter or did you use a diagram to hook it all up?

This thread has a complete diagram of all connectors that should give you an idea of what you need to connect to get uninterrupted power.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls400/396809-1996-lexus-ls400-stereo-install-wiring-info-diagrams.html

That is actually the one that I used, I am thinking about running a small wire directly from the battery to the battery of the stereo. Does this sound like it may work or that it may be just be a terrible idea.

I have the Pioneer Premier FH-P800BT. I'm going to try it again, since this only occured when I first installed the stereo and I have not tried to play it with my key only in the accessory position for fear of losing my settings. I just got off work and I'm in class currently so I'll try it tomorrow after work and I'll update at that time.