Sunroof Noise Problem

dannycwu

I have a 1995 SC300 and when the sunroof is closed and I travel at 60+ mph I can hear the wind noise. I was wonder if this is normal for a 9 year old car, and if so is there anything I can do to make the seal better again. Thanks!

I have the same issue if I close mine from the vent up position. If I close mine from the slide open position then it seals better. I still hear a slight noise (probably just increased noise due to the single layer of glass instead of the roof panel and the headliner), but if I close the headliner I don't hear it at all.

Maybe that will help with yours as well.

Tom

lexus gaskets are one peice so you have to replace the glass as well

it needs the shims added to get it back to close perfectly

the easiest way is to use meguires tire endurance on all the seals in the car

from the doors to the trunk and windows

also make sure there isn't a leaking grommet on the firewall letting air in the passenger compartment

also maek sure the plastic in the doors are stillsealing well by resiliconing them especially if you feel cold air throught the door handle or speaker grilles when driving

I have a 1995 SC300 and when the sunroof is closed and I travel at 60+ mph I can hear the wind noise. I was wonder if this is normal for a 9 year old car, and if so is there anything I can do to make the seal better again. Thanks!

i had the same problem with my gs and all i did was remove two slide pins from the tracks, played and adjusted the sun roof window, lined up the holes for the slide pins and tapped them back in. after that, no more air leak problems. i don't know if this will for your cars, but it was a suggestion.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I took redsully's advice about the black magic, but first I cleaned the area on the car where the seal meets it and the seal itself with a mild cleaner. It worked out pretty good, I can't say that it's completely noise-free, but doing this reduced the noise by about 3/4 and when I close the lid I can't hear any noise at all. My alignment looks pretty good, so I'm going to leave it at that.

Hi, I took redsully's advice about the black magic, but first I cleaned the area on the car where the seal meets it and the seal itself with a mild cleaner. It worked out pretty good, I can't say that it's completely noise-free, but doing this reduced the noise by about 3/4 and when I close the lid I can't hear any noise at all. My alignment looks pretty good, so I'm going to leave it at that.

that's good. If you want to eliminate the problem you're going to have to change it. If you can tolerate the noise, stay with it, otherwise it might not be a bad idea to save up for the insulation change.