Spluttering Ls400

leftfooter

My alternator just went out on my 92 LS400 due in part to a slow leak from the PS reservoir. In determining this, all the lights on the dash would come on together and then go out & which stage the car would not start. Left it for four hours, car started and I got it home, but once I turned it off, it would not start again.

The car sat for around 2 weeks before I replaced the alternator. I drove the car for 4 miles, it ran great. The next time I got into the car, 4 hours later, within a few blocks of driving the car started to splutter and seemed to lose all power when going forward and putting my foot on the gas pedal. The lights on the dash remained on, which indicated to me that all was working well with the alternator. I left it sit for another 10 days waiting for my mechanic to come take a look @ it. Due to health reasons he has not been able to come out. I started it up and drove for 8 miles, speeding it up and slowing it down. No issues. A couple of days later I drove it for 18 miles without much issue, on the last 1/2 mile (luckily B4 I got to my house) it started to splutter again & I struggled slowly home. The next day I brought it to a shop and they tested the alternator and connections and told me that the alternator was holding a charge and were not able to replicate the problem. They want to do a full diagnostic, but funds are low at the moment. I've driven it for a further 10 miles with no issue. I know I can't trust it and don't want to be left stranded on the highway some day soon.

The car is overdue an oil change by around 3k miles, and has 163k miles on the clock.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with the car?

I don't think your current problem has anything to do with the alternator. The car should be able to run for a good bit without an alternator if the battery is fully charged (as long as heavy electrical loads like headlights, AC, and blower motor are turned off). In any event the tests must show the alternator is putting out recharge currents.

I'd turn your attention to ignition system. I am less inclinded to think this is fuel starvation (clogged fuel filter, plugged injectors, or faulty fuel pump) at the moment (although it can't be fully ruled out). These cars have known problems with one bank of ignition going dead leaving you with a 4 cylinder car and very rough running. Search this forum for ignition and distributor problems and you'll find many suggestions to try out.

I don't think your current problem has anything to do with the alternator. The car should be able to run for a good bit without an alternator if the battery is fully charged (as long as heavy electrical loads like headlights, AC, and blower motor are turned off). In any event the tests must show the alternator is putting out recharge currents.

I'd turn your attention to ignition system. I am less inclinded to think this is fuel starvation (clogged fuel filter, plugged injectors, or faulty fuel pump) at the moment (although it can't be fully ruled out). These cars have known problems with one bank of ignition going dead leaving you with a 4 cylinder car and very rough running. Search this forum for ignition and distributor problems and you'll find many suggestions to try out.

Also the idle has started running @ rock bottom....