Parking Crooked :-)

timzter

I never had this issue before when I had my 2006 ES 330, but with my 2010 ES 350, when parking in a regular parking spot in a parking lot (NOT parallel park), even though it looks to me from my vantage point in the driver's seat that my window sill is parallel to the painted line on the ground for the neighboring parking spot, when I actually get out of the car, the car is parked crooked and not parallel at all to the painted line. So what I have found myself doing is that I compensate for this by deliberately parking at an angle (relative to my window sill and neighboring spot's painted line) and this seems to result in a straighter parking. Anyone else experieces this or is it just me? :blushing:

I never had this issue before when I had my 2006 ES 330, but with my 2010 ES 350, when parking in a regular parking spot in a parking lot (NOT parallel park), even though it looks to me from my vantage point in the driver's seat that my window sill is parallel to the painted line on the ground for the neighboring parking spot, when I actually get out of the car, the car is parked crooked and not parallel at all to the painted line. So what I have found myself doing is that I compensate for this by deliberately parking at an angle (relative to my window sill and neighboring spot's painted line) and this seems to result in a straighter parking. Anyone else experieces this or is it just me? :blushing:

I never look at the parallel line. In fact, for a moment I didn't know what you were talking about. I just pull in straight and in the center of the parking spot. Works for me. Also has the advantage of keeping my "head out of the cockpit."

• 3 weeks later...

Been there. I have to look straight ahead as much as possible in order to orient the car an equal distance between the neighboring lines. My guess is a common gradual decline in periphrial vision that we all experiance as the calendar marches' on.

Paul

Glad to see this post because this happens to me all the time....misery loves company I guess. Anyway, your post got me thinking this morning so I retreived my carpenters level and stopped by the garage to check; there is a substantial rake/slope to the windowsill. If you line tthe sill up with the parking spot divider line you'll be off parallel by the degree of rake. Actually, this is a relief to me because now I can go back to believing I'm not losing it.

[

Glad to see this post because this happens to me all the time....misery loves company I guess. Anyway, your post got me thinking this morning so I retreived my carpenters level and stopped by the garage to check; there is a substantial rake/slope to the windowsill. If you line tthe sill up with the parking spot divider line you'll be off parallel by the degree of rake. Actually, this is a relief to me because now I can go back to believing I'm not losing it.

Thank you for this explanation. Such a relief. I thought I was just experiencing this problem because I am getting close to joining the "average" age for ES350 owners. I am both a private pilot and a sailor, so if this was to be a developing physical impairment, I will start having to give up both activities.

Despite my best efforts though, when I park backing-up, I still end up parking with my car tilted towards the left.