Strong Gas Smell After Highway Run-Suddenly

93 SC400. We had been driving 70-80 for over an hour. Took the exit ramp and all of a sudden there was a strong smell of gas in the cabin. I noticed the Fresh/Recirc air A/C intake switched itself to "Fresh". Pulled in to get gas, couldn't smell gas anywhere under hood or car. I did notice that when I removed the gas cap, there was a lot more pressure than normal. It took several seconds to bleed off, probably 2-3 times as long as usual. It was 90-95 degrees outside (hell it always is in Texas<G>) I'm thinking plugged canister (whatever it's called under the hood that the gas lines go to) but not sure how to check. Any ideas? Cars too pretty to go up in flames..........

• 1 month later...

A few times i have over filled the gas in my SC and where the drainage hole for water and gas is drained the gas, shortly after my cabin filled with the smell of gas. Since the gas tank is located directly between the seat and trunk fabric, there is a fairly good chance that if the pressure was higher than normal in the tank, there may have been a small leak leading to the tank in the back. If this is the case it would have been easy for the smell of gas to come into the cabin from behind the seat. This is simply an educated guess, but thats all i can think of for now! i hope it helps!