Rx450H Anyone With One Had Any Issues?

Would like to hear from some RX450h owners on how their vehicle is doing. Also would like to hear your milage and how you like the power?

I plan on trading for a 2011.

Thanks

Bob

I have had an RX450h for two months. No doubt about the power. When both elec motors kick in, it acts like a V8. You cannot add power of each elec motors to the engine power, (so the dealer said) but the total must be up there. Off road it handles mud OK, but be careful of sand. The clearance makes it NOT a rock hopper.

I had an RX 400 h previously. Some quirks: the audio is not simple. That joy stick thing to change channels can be a challenge while driving.

Learn the steering wheel set-up controls from the dealer. That too can be challenging. it is totally customizable.

I get about 8.2 litres per 100 km around town...don't know british system, and about 6.8 kept hot. But it is not "run in" yet.

graley

Would like to hear from some RX450h owners on how their vehicle is doing. Also would like to hear your milage and how you like the power?

Thanks

Bob

I have had an RX450h for two months. No doubt about the power. When both elec motors kick in, it acts like a V8. You cannot add power of each elec motors to the engine power, (so the dealer said) but the total must be up there. Off road it handles mud OK, but be careful of sand. The clearance makes it NOT a rock hopper.

I had an RX 400 h previously. Some quirks: the audio is not simple. That joy stick thing to change channels can be a challenge while driving.

Learn the steering wheel set-up controls from the dealer. That too can be challenging. it is totally customizable.

I get about 8.2 litres per 100 km around town...don't know british system, and about 6.8 kept hot. But it is not "run in" yet.

graley

WOW! That converts (in miles per gallon) to somewhere around 23mpg, doesn't it? Our neighbor gets 6mpg higher (29mpg) in their 450h which falls somewhere in between the EPA stated

EDIT: OH wait -- you're down undah ... austrailia ... middle of winter. Average temps maybe 42 degrees. Our winter mileage gets lower too in our RX - which is the case with all hybrids in cold temps. We added a factory block heater, and block the grill, which keeps our winter mpg higher on our 400h. Well . . . come January/summer, you WILL do better!

Thanks all for the info!!

I live in Alabama and don't have to deal very much with real cold weather. Where I'm at I can almost always get 100% gasoline with no ethonal and think that helps me with my mileage. We don't even get the winter blend down here. I have the RX350 and getting a average of 24mpg (no interstate and 20% city type with the rest country style).

I have had a couple of Toyota Hybrids and loved them and know what you mean about the colder weather and the short trips affecting your MPGs.

Bob

Thanks

Bob

graley

WOW! That converts (in miles per gallon) to somewhere around 23mpg, doesn't it? Our neighbor gets 6mpg higher (29mpg) in their 450h which falls somewhere in between the EPA stated

EDIT: OH wait -- you're down undah ... austrailia ... middle of winter. Average temps maybe 42 degrees. Our winter mileage gets lower too in our RX - which is the case with all hybrids in cold temps. We added a factory block heater, and block the grill, which keeps our winter mpg higher on our 400h. Well . . . come January/summer, you WILL do better!

8.2 L/100km converts to 28.7 MPG I believe, which is pretty good.

Chand3 is correct if the conversion includes US gallons. If using British gallons, the answer becomes 34.4 MPG (not likely).

Thanks all for the info!!

I live in Alabama and don't have to deal very much with real cold weather. Where I'm at I can almost always get 100% gasoline with no ethonal and think that helps me with my mileage. We don't even get the winter blend down here. I have the RX350 and getting a average of 24mpg (no interstate and 20% city type with the rest country style).

I have had a couple of Toyota Hybrids and loved them and know what you mean about the colder weather and the short trips affecting your MPGs.

Bob

With most non-hybrids, a steady 30-50 MPH on back country roads will result in very good gas mileage. This would explain your 24 MPG number. My son's 1997 Honda Civic CX would most likely achieve almost 50 MPG under those conditions. However, the majority of the population in the US is in or near heavily populated areas (cities and counties) and as such, are severely penalized by driving non-hybrid/heavy vehicles. I know of a few RX330 and RX350 owners who typically achieve only 16 MPG under the same conditions under which we achieve 24-26 MPG or more. The gap widens as frequency of city and high traffic conditions increase. Folks who live in the Los Angeles area can see 30 MPG when driving RX400h and RX450h SUVs.

Hi,

I've had mine for 3 months and no issues other than the bumper not being immune to being scratched when backed into by another car :angry:

At about 14,000km, averaging 9.1L/100km with a combination of long trips and lots of really short trips (5km commute). This is consistent with my previous Ford Escape Hybrid and better than the Golf GTI VR6 before that. Handles ok (not a sports car) and I really appreciate the nicer features (compared to the FEH). More power, very quiet (I forgot how nice that was to have a quiet drive) and the cooled seats are welcome these days. No regrets at all.

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I just purchased a 2011 RX450h.

So far not so good.

1. There is a very loud whining noise coming from the engine at idle. It sounds like a power steering pump that does not have enough fluid. I pinpointed it to the oil pan. I am not sure what is going on.

2. My iPhone will not work properly with the iPod connector. When I connect it the audio has glitches in it. If I try to control the music it eventually locks up and I have to disconnect my iPhone.

3. Tonight I got in my car and something weird happened. When I press the start button normally the seat would reset to the correct position. Instead it was too far back. To add to that the side mirrors were pointed down and the steering wheel was too far down. Software glitch??????

4. When putting the car in reverse the side mirrors do not point down far enough to see the curb. Seems like something is wrong with the mirror control?

I am scared to death that I have a lemon. I do not want to have to deal with this. :(

-Pete

Ps. I previously owned a 2007 Rx400h and it was great. I had no problems with it.

2. My iPhone will not work properly with the iPod connector. When I connect it the audio has glitches in it. If I try to control the music it eventually locks up and I have to disconnect my iPhone.

Check with your dealer, there may be a technical service bulletin for this issue. Although the iPhone may not be official supported by Lexus. Only the iPod.

Check with your dealer, there may be a technical service bulletin for this issue. Although the iPhone may not be official supported by Lexus. Only the iPod.

I am bringing in the car tomorrow for my list of issues. My biggest concern is the whining from the oil pan. For now I revived an old iPod I was not using and that works fine.

Ps. I cannot send or receive personal messages on here. Do you know why and how I can have that fixed?

When putting the car in reverse the side mirrors do not point down far enough to see the curb. Seems like something is wrong with the mirror control?

I had that issue with my '08. The dealer did a software update or something and it's been fine ever since.

When putting the car in reverse the side mirrors do not point down far enough to see the curb. Seems like something is wrong with the mirror control?

I had that issue with my '08. The dealer did a software update or something and it's been fine ever since.

Thank for the info. I will talk to them about that tomorrow. Do you have any thoughts on that whining noise that is very loud near the oil pan?

• 3 years later...

I have a 2 month old 2015 and like it so far. Still have our 2005 Rx 330 and the new one will be our primary car. Mileage is very good - haven't really figured it out but I do note that the indicated cruising range after fillup is 450+ vs 350+ on the 330. Haven't bothered to compare tank volume but it seems to stay away from the gas station. One problem with the radio - not taken in to service yet (only 3k miles). AM and FM reception tone shifts intermittently as if you were switching the bass/treble control on an old time radio. Doesn't seem to affect CD play or iPhone Bluetooth play.

Also noted that satellite radio constantly cuts in and out, a problem noted elsewhere, but given that I'm an old timer it probably won't bother me because I won't be using satellite radio much if at all.

I also don't really like having to use the joystick to operate the radio - I'd rather have the pushbutton system from the 2005 - but that's progress.