Navigation: Disk Read Error - Check Disk

kdmorris23

Hi all,

I have a 2001 LS430 with Mark Levinson sound system and GEN 2/3 Navigation system (in trunk). A few months ago the maps disappeared but the tracking icon continued to work and track on a blank white screen. I went by the local dealership and one of the service techs recommended ejecting the nav disk and re-inserting it and maybe it would reset itself. Well, I did so and afterward started getting the message "DISK READ ERROR.CHECK DISK." when the system resumed. The screen and tracking icon is gone totally now. All I have now is the "I Agree" screen then the disk read error message appears and is locked. I can go into climate and audio mode but when I go to the destination mode the error message appears. Can anyone tell me if this is truly a disk problem or a CPU problem? I can swing the $150-200 new disk cost but not the $2500 CPU. I've got a Garmin but don't like suctioning the bracket onto the built-in nav screen. It looks goofy!! Can anyone help?

• 8 months later...

A previous post from ScottRoy:

I can't say this will be true for your LS 430, but for my 2004, I tried pulling ECU fuses and that didn't work. When I pulled the battery negative cable off for a few minutes, then restored it, the nav system re-loaded. Apparently, there is another power line going to the ecu (to maintain the memory) that doesn't go through the indicated ECU fuses in mine. Maybe yours?

I was worried I'd loose a bunch of memorized settings throughout the car, but only lost the previous destinations list. Not bad.

• Like 1

Another option if you think the disk is bad but don't want to buy a new one is to buy an old version of the maps from ebay. For $20 you can get an old genuine toyota disk. This would prove if its a disk or a module issue. If the disk fixes it you can decide if the maps are good enough or go buy the latest maps with more confidence in your purchase.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Used-Toyota-and-Lexus-04-05-06-Navigation-CD-works-fine-/320665421751?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item4aa92607b7

Another option if you think the disk is bad but don't want to buy a new one is to buy an old version of the maps from ebay. For $20 you can get an old genuine toyota disk. This would prove if its a disk or a module issue. If the disk fixes it you can decide if the maps are good enough or go buy the latest maps with more confidence in your purchase.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Used-Toyota-and-Lexus-04-05-06-Navigation-CD-works-fine-/320665421751?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item4aa92607b7

Make sure that the disc is not older than the one you already had in the system.

It seems that it is not possible to get an older disc working once a newer has been loaded....

Jac

• 8 years later...

Hey I had this same problem with my 2001 Lexus Gs430. My navigation screen was stuck on the opening screen when you first turn on the car it gives you a warning about looking st the screen while driving. I went under the hood and disconnected the negative from the battery for about 5 minutes. Hooked everything back up and the disk read error indicator was gone and everything was back to normal!