Buying A New '08 Es 350 - With This Scratch!

Sammycat

Hi,

We found a nice '08 RX350 yesterday and almost bought the car. The car has no mileage and is in good condition. However, one concern we have is this deep, long scratch right above the right rear wheel. Is this something that will hurt the trade in value in the future? The dealer is only willing to touch up the scratch....

What are your opinions? Please share them with me. Thanks!!

post-77429-127825180995_thumb.jpg

No milage ??? I highly doubt that unsure.gifblink.gifhuh.gif Scratch looks deep, I beleive it will have an impact on the trade in/resale value.

LOL. It was "LOW" mileage rather. The dealer assures me that's not the first thing they look at then people trade in their cars...~~

Hi,

We found a nice '08 RX350 yesterday and almost bought the car. The car has no mileage and is in good condition. However, one concern we have is this deep, long scratch right above the right rear wheel. Is this something that will hurt the trade in value in the future? The dealer is only willing to touch up the scratch....

Is your dealer a Lexus dealer? My guess is that if he thought a "touch up" would do it he would have fixed it as part of prepping the car for sale. Ask him to touch it up first (whatever that means) and then make your decision. You can also test drive it for an hour or so and take it to body shop that does Lexus for an estimate. Then return to the dealer EIF (Estimate in Fist)and negotiate.

If it is a Lexus dealer, I would really be surprised.....unless, you are getting a really great deal on it. If not, I would negotiate the heck out of them. I am sure you know this but in case you don't...use Edmunds.com and use the Apraise My Car area. You can then use the various conditions to see what range of price you should offer (of course go lower than what Edmunds says).

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

What happened? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.