Es300 Steering Wheel Whine

2000 ES300 Platinum Edition. Steering wheel whines in this high pitched noise. It happens primarily when cold but quite often regardless. 188K on the car, lubes the steering column, can't figure out why. Thoughts anyone?

2000 ES300 Platinum Edition. Steering wheel whines in this high pitched noise. It happens primarily when cold but quite often regardless. 188K on the car, lubes the steering column, can't figure out why. Thoughts anyone?

sounds like you're probably low on power steering fluid. you'll get that whining sound when trying to turn and what not if there's not enough. if there's none then you have to use tons of force just to turn the wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it a whine or a squeak? I have a 2000 and the steering wheel squeaks when I turn it. I have no steering issues and plenty of fluid, so the squeak is not #1 on my list of priorities, but I would be curious as to how some answer your question.

Is it a whine or a squeak? I have a 2000 and the steering wheel squeaks when I turn it. I have no steering issues and plenty of fluid, so the squeak is not #1 on my list of priorities, but I would be curious as to how some answer your question.

My ES does this about every two years, it actually sounds like a cat's meow. I simply tell the dealer when I go in for my oil change and they fix it free of charge every time.

I have a 97 es300 that has a squeal when turning the wheel. i looked under and it was leaking power steering fluid. one of the lines had rusted at a bend untill it started leaking. cut out the rusted section and replaced it with brake line and some rubber hose. refilled the fluid and it has been fine ever since.

mine takes ATF fluid. if u put power power steering fluid instead of ATF it will squel. make sure u use ATF if it take ATF