Leather Problem

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, but I've been lurking for a couple of days : )

Problem: I just bought a 2005 RX 330 with Grey leather interior. The leather is in great shape except for a yellow mark on the passenger seat the size of the "enter" key on a keyboard. I thought it was just a smudge I could wipe off when I got home but after cleaning the leather I realized on that spot the dye must have come off exposing the raw leather beneath. I'm a perfectionist so this is really going to bother me. I read through the "Quality leather" post, but find the refinishing process a bit daunting.

Question: If I took this to a body shop would this be an expensive repair? I'm afraid if I try to do it myself I'll make it worse.

Thank You!

Thornton.

Your local lexus dealer can direct you to their leather people, they have a company on hand they call a few times a week to re-finish or touch up leather on cars before they go on the lot as CPO's. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself unless you've got experience painting with an airbrush- NEVER try to touch up with a brush or by hand, you won't be able to get a good finish (from experience).

Probably cost around $25 if it's just a quick clean and spray. It's things like rips and tears that bring the cost up.

Your local lexus dealer can direct you to their leather people, they have a company on hand they call a few times a week to re-finish or touch up leather on cars before they go on the lot as CPO's. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself unless you've got experience painting with an airbrush- NEVER try to touch up with a brush or by hand, you won't be able to get a good finish (from experience).

Probably cost around $25 if it's just a quick clean and spray. It's things like rips and tears that bring the cost up.

That's good news! I was afraid they'd have to re do the entire cushion to match it.

Thanks!

Nope, they just clean the surface and spray dye over the infected area and "mist" the area around it so it blends in (maybe 3" in all directions). It's actually not really a "dye", more like a paint. It has a little viscosity to it, so it will fill in any minor defects in the raw hide exposed. <_<