2001 Ls430 Front Strut Mounts

Zett123

I have deduced that my strut mounts are bad on my 2001 Lexus LS430 with 120K miles. it has been getting louder and louder and is most noticeable when driving slow. My question is, has anyone replaced their mounts? I been working on cars on and off for 40 years and can tackle almost anything myself. I know I need a spring compressor but is there anywhere I can see detailed instructions on this process? I am planning to use KYB 341392 struts with Moog strut mount kit unless someone else has some better ideas.

I have deduced that my strut mounts are bad on my 2001 Lexus LS430 with 120K miles. it has been getting louder and louder and is most noticeable when driving slow. My question is, has anyone replaced their mounts? I been working on cars on and off for 40 years and can tackle almost anything myself. I know I need a spring compressor but is there anywhere I can see detailed instructions on this process? I am planning to use KYB 341392 struts with Moog strut mount kit unless someone else has some better ideas.

Although for an earlier model this should explain the basic proceedures.

http://www.lextreme.com/ascon.html

Are you sure the noise is from the struts? 120K miles is EXTREMELY early for strut related noise on an LS. Have you checked other front end components and particularly the strut bars which, if similar to those on my 2000 LS400, last barely 75,000 miles.

Are you sure the noise is from the struts? 120K miles is EXTREMELY early for strut related noise on an LS. Have you checked other front end components and particularly the strut bars which, if similar to those on my 2000 LS400, last barely 75,000 miles.

I had the front end looked at in a front end shop. They had it on a special lift made for front end work and isolating various components. They said everything looked tight and that it must be the strut mount. You mention strut bar, I don't think my 2001 LS430 has strut bars. To me it sounds like stabilizer bar bushings, but they said no. I think I hit one too many speed bumps too fast too many times. You know the kind that are in apartment complexes that are about a foot deep and six inches high. I think I read somewhere that the OEM strut mounts have bad rubber for a few years, that is why I am going to Moog parts.

The strut bar he's referring to is the rod that connects the lower control arm to the front of the car, below the radiator. Toyota calls it something else but it's essentially a tension rod, the later '95-'00 models use a better design than the 1st generation but still can wear under extreme loads. The struts themselves are easy to replace with a compressor, but instead of buying the cheap camp-on/bolt-on unit maybe find a shop that has a wall mounted compressor you can use, take them there and it's literally 60 seconds worth of effort versus the 15 minutes you'll spend putting the other type together.

The strut bar he's referring to is the rod that connects the lower control arm to the front of the car, below the radiator. Toyota calls it something else but it's essentially a tension rod, the later '95-'00 models use a better design than the 1st generation but still can wear under extreme loads. The struts themselves are easy to replace with a compressor, but instead of buying the cheap camp-on/bolt-on unit maybe find a shop that has a wall mounted compressor you can use, take them there and it's literally 60 seconds worth of effort versus the 15 minutes you'll spend putting the other type together.

1990LS400 & RDM.. Thanks for your replies because it got me thinking about the struts and or mounts. I bounced the drivers side of the front end up and down no noise. Then I bounced the pass side up and down and got the noise from the drivers side. As my son was bouncing it, I stuck my head under there and could here it loud and clear. As I was holding some front parts, the noise stopped when I held the stabilizer link. Bingo!! Going to order one from Napa ($42.00) which is 1/2 the price of Lexus. Looks like an easy job. Thanks guys for putting doubt in my head because I think this will do the trick.

Oh yeah, looking at the struts, they look like a piece of cake to replace when needed.

Zett123, Maybe I'm wrong about the 01 LS430 having strut rods like my 00 LS400. I don't see them on parts.com or in the diagrams at http://www.toyodiy.com

I apologize. Good luck with the stabilizer link replacement.

The LS430 does not have strut rods like on the 98-00. In fact the suspension is quite a change from previous models.

It sounds like your noise is (was) the link on the end of the sway bar.

• 2 weeks later...

Zett123, Maybe I'm wrong about the 01 LS430 having strut rods like my 00 LS400. I don't see them on parts.com or in the diagrams at http://www.toyodiy.com

I apologize. Good luck with the stabilizer link replacement.

The LS430 does not have strut rods like on the 98-00. In fact the suspension is quite a change from previous models.

It sounds like your noise is (was) the link on the end of the sway bar.

It was the sway bar link(s) and there is nothing easier to replace on the front end than these links. Piece of cake. However, I ordered a set in from NAPA, they looked the same but the bolt that goes through the lower was too long. It should measure 3 3/8 not 4 3/8 to stop. Make sure when you order it you get the right one. Having a second hydraulic jack under the control arm to take the pressure off the link made this a breeze. (Or use your scissors jack in your trunk) Torque to 29 ft lbs. They were about $42.00 each with 24K/two year warranty.