Replacing Side Viewmirror Glass - It's Easy

songzunhuang

My driver side rearview mirror assembly was floping around after a car wash the other day. After figuring out that the retaining clip for the spring had come off and that it was impossible to fix, I thought I would at least share how to take off and replace the actual mirror. That way my day won't have been spent in vain.

I've seen some posts of people asking about replacing their actual mirror that was broken. I've not seen a pictorial walkthrough. So here it is.

REMOVING THE MIRROR:

This is really easy once you know how it's fastened. Basically get a screwdriver and pry up from the bottom of the mirror. That's it. I've included a few labeled pictures so that you can get a better idea of what's going on.

LS400mirror1.jpg

So insert your screwdriver at the green callout. Once you get the bottom loose, rotate the mirror up to release the "J" hooks. Then all you have to do is unplug the wire for the heater.

LS400mirror2.jpg

In this view you can see how the back of the mirror (top) connects to the assembly (bottom) that is inside the mirror housing. I took my whole housing apart to fix something else. You don't have to do this to replace just the mirror part.

LS400mirror3.jpg

This last picture highlights the "J" hook at the top of the mirror. The mirror is basically glued onto a plastic backing with all the hooks and connectors mentioned.

OK, I hope this was helpful. You can find new mirrors replacements on the web for about $20.

Epilogue for me:

As it turns out, the issue I was having requires the whole outside mirror housing to be replaced. Good news is that I see there are dismantlers on eBay where I can get that for about $50-80. So that's what I am doing.

this is very helpful.... my passenger side mirror also cracked when i tried to put a small dead-point view mirror on it. I just don;t know where to get the mirror glass to replace it.

Check out the Rock Auto website. They carry replacement side mirror glass for some of the LS 400 models. As I recall, the glass costs around $12-

$20. You probably could get it also at a Lexus dealership, but make sure you are sitting down when they quote you a price.

• 2 years later...

Hey, very impressive work.

Off to the wrecking yard to get me a heated mirror;

not one of those for 20.00 that do not have the heating element, are not convex

and inferior; definitely not to Lexus to pay 136.00 plus tax. Nope, off to the

wrecking yard to get me a new heated convex passenger side mirror.

Very nice, yep, very nice.

I love this site!!!

Went to AAA auto wrecking in Auburn WA. armed with nothing more than a wide very large

straight slot screwdriver.

Removed a mirror from its assembly in 10 seconds, pulled the two wire heating connection off

in 10 seconds.

Paid twenty bucks for it and put it on my car there in the lot in two minutes and drove off.

WOW!!!

Next replace the heater core, this summer....

Now who's got those instructions? ha ha ha...........

Guys in the wrecking yard laughed, shook their heads and said, "We don't do that,

and we can destroy everything on the way to it." GREAT!