2000 Rx 300 Struts And Mount Bushings

sigtauenus

2000 RX 300, 155,000 miles. How long do the struts last? I'm making an order with My Lex Parts and was going to order at least the mount bushings if not the struts too if they are due. As far as I can tell the original are still on, no do I know if the TSB was performed for the mount bushings. Incidently, Lexus front struts are $128 from My Lex Parts and $131 at my local Autozone.

As far as the mount bushings go, what is the exact part/part number? If you can identify it on this picture, that would help.

8912165.gif

1st question- I'm almost positive a strut mount should include #'s 11,12&14. At 155k mi., I would say it is definitely time for new struts. You have to remember, struts don't generally bounce like shocks do when they're worn out. You should be able to tell a definite difference with new ones if those are original. I would also go with the Lexus OEM struts. There MAY be a better strut out there but that would require some research to determine. Otherwise, I'd just go with the OEM.

1st question- I'm almost positive a strut mount should include #'s 11,12&14. At 155k mi., I would say it is definitely time for new struts. You have to remember, struts don't generally bounce like shocks do when they're worn out. You should be able to tell a definite difference with new ones if those are original. I would also go with the Lexus OEM struts. There MAY be a better strut out there but that would require some research to determine. Otherwise, I'd just go with the OEM.

Thanks. To clarify, if I were getting the TSB done for the previously inferior mount design, the parts replaced would include 11, 12 & 14?

Also, should the rear strut mounts be replaced also, or was the problem just with the fronts?

This will be some hefty work. Struts all around, timing and accessory belts, water pump and all hoses is easily going to be one large in parts alone and a good weekend to install them.

We did spark plugs and a couple coil packs about 15,000 miles ago. I just did new tires, an ATF drain and fill, oil change, air filter. I think I'm pretty close to having all the regular maintenance items done with for awhile. Well, oil and filters never end.

I was thinking about also doing a flush of the brake and power steering fluid and the AWD box and rear axle.

I believe that even an aftermarket upper front strut mount kit includes those 3 parts. I'll check but I'm quite sure you need all of them. Concerning the rear SM's, they don't have a bearing like the front. I've not had them out, but there isn't the same need for the parts on the rear since they don't turn like the front. The bearing is what it turns on in the front. The problem with the fronts is that the rubber mount deforms with all the pressure and strain on it and then the metal bushing gets a chance (on the bumps) to displace and then catch on the edge of a hole that it shouldn't ever pass through. Makes a hellatious racket! You have your hands full if you are able to get all that work done in one weekend! We'll paint a big red "S" on your chest if you do. I flushed the BF on my DIL's RX and was amazed that the fluid (original at about 100k mi.) was almost clean as new. I checked a couple days ago and the fluid I put in 40k + mi ago still looks that way. My wife's '02 Camry still looks that way. I think the Japanese put a higher grade of rubber in their brake parts than we do. Same son & DIL have an '08 Suburban and that brake fluid is already nasty at less than 30k mi. I pulled the plug on the rear axle on the RX at almost 100k and the original fluid looked like it had just been put in. Clean as new so I left it alone. :)