Subwoofer Installation

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has done a free-air sub woofer installation on a ES 300. Looking for tips or issues I might run into before I start the install.

I had this set up on my volvo and could be heard three blocks away :) They only problem was that I had to sound insulate the trunk, so just wondering how tight the ES will be.

Pioneer 12 Free sub

Punch 150.1 mono sub amp.

I've asked about this before with NOT a lot of feedback? I think most people don't care about upgrading the stereo for some reason (besides a couple I shoud say). From what I've learned, if you use the stock location, and replace the stock size 8" free air- you won't get much out of it. Not many companies make them, and you'll probably need to get a bigger amp just for the woofer. The local stereo shop here suggested removing the stock woofer, and using the location as home for a port- and run a nice box in the trunk. If you find out something that works better let me know, as I may be interested too.

I've got 2 10's in back and I haven't had too many rattles. The worst rattles appear to come from inside the bumper area, and the rear quarter panel where I mounted my amp to the trunk lining; the bolts I used to hold it in place to the lining vibrate up against the metal of the quarter panel, but I'm just too lazy to put some insulation in there; you can only hear it from outside anyway. Inside, my 6x9's used to rattle, but I took them out and put some foam weather stripping between the plastic mounts and the metal of the rear deck and they're good now. All things considered, the ES is a pretty solid car, that's why they're so quiet to begin with! Everything's tied down pretty good, so you shouldn't have too many problems with rattles. ;)

i have a 96 es300 and came across numerous things that made me waste time when i put in my 2 10's. i kept the stock stereo and when i took it out, i found out there were no plug ins for the amp. it turns out the stock stereo has an external amp under the passenger seat, towards the back. i had to splice sum of those wires on the amp to make it all work. don't even bother touching the stereo if its stock though. all wiring has to be done through the stock external amp. i have to find a new REM hook up though cuz every time i turn my car off the subs give a thump. as far as rattles, i dont have many. like lex's, the rattles seem to be in the area where the stock 6X9's are located. i'm going to see about putting sum of those rubber washers on there though and see if that works....one day. also, my tail lights seem to rattle a lil bit. i might put sum rubber washers there too. anywayz, running the wires wasnt that difficult. i pretty much followed the area along the door well where the plastic is and just lifted up the plastic strips. i ran the wire there and used a clothes hanger to pull it through the carpet under the seat. my power wire to the amp is hooked up directly to the battery. that was a serious !Removed! to run into the car. i couldnt get through the fire wall so i ran it through the front quarter panel and through the hole in the driver door well. i'm sure there's probably a better way but i couldnt figure it out. anywayz, let me know how you progress. hope this helps some.

From these responses I have purchased a roll of Dynamate to make sure no rattles on the rear deck around the 6x9s. I am leaving the stock system..due to the donkeys here in Atlanta steal anything that does not look factory.

Nice thing is the punch amp that I have allows me to control the sub up front.

With information that you guys provided I have now mapped out this install. Biggest hurdle is removing the back seat and mounting the board for the free air twelve.

It knock well in the volvo lets hope it does the same in the lexus.

Next in istall: REMOTE START :)