Replacement Tires

lilmaggie

Hi Everyone,

I own a beautiful 2005 Lexus LS430. I now have 28.000 miles and need to replace the tire. I do mainly city driving, live in CT (lots of ice and snow) and want a very smooth ride. Please let me know your thoughts. My current tire size is Dunlop P 245/45R18. I am so happy I found this site and LOVE my Lexus.

TireRack sponsors or tires and wheels forum. The reason I point this out to you is because they have the absolute best website for comparing and choosing the right tire for you. You will be able to determine for yourself what matters to you most, and purchase or atleast find the best tire you can afford. You should try that and let me know how it went.

I'll second the vote for Michelin only. Don't mess with other brands. The MXV4 is the smoothest one they make, and although there are other choices that have better handling, they aren't as smooth as the MXV4. Just stay with Michelin.

I will third that . The previous owner had just installed a new set a few months before I bought the 97 LS. Great tire and not too expensive at least in the 16" wheel size.

I will 4th that. I have a 99 and 98 LS with the MXV4 and would not think of using another brand. They are smooth, quiet, handle well, and last a long time.

The ONLY tire I would put on that car is the Michelin Primacy MXV4...

Get ready to pay though, those 18"s are very expensive to replace...

Ok, I am ready to buy a set of MXV4's for my 2001 LS430 with 17" rims. The question is.. "H" or "V" speed rating.. I don't drive over 80 but is there better handling in the higher rating tire? (About a $15.00 per tile difference)

Hi Everyone,

I own a beautiful 2005 Lexus LS430. I now have 28.000 miles and need to replace the tire. I do mainly city driving, live in CT (lots of ice and snow) and want a very smooth ride. Please let me know your thoughts. My current tire size is Dunlop P 245/45R18. I am so happy I found this site and LOVE my Lexus.

I just want to thank you all for the recommendations. I am going to take your advice and go with the Michelin Primacy MXV4. Costco has a rebate that ends Saturday. They do not do alignments with the tire purchase. Is this something I will need to have performed with my new tires?

I just want to thank you all for the recommendations. I am going to take your advice and go with the Michelin Primacy MXV4. Costco has a rebate that ends Saturday. They do not do alignments with the tire purchase. Is this something I will need to have performed with my new tires?

Costco is running the $70/off per set deal every couple of months this year so don't feel pressured to buy a set immediately if your current tires have enough tread left to be safe.

I agree with "Killer". If your current tires have worn evenly there is no need to do an alignment.

Check out the latest issue of Consumer Reports that tested tires. A Hankook tire did as good as any Michelin in ride smoothness, quietest and fuel economy at half the price. The world is changing and the Koreans are now competitive with the best in regards to cars and tires.

I am very fussy about ride smoothness and quietness and the Korean Kumho Solus KR21's I have ride like a Michelin (zero vibration at highway speed). The Kumhos are not ranked quite as high in CR's tests as the Hankook tire referred to above. So next time I need tires I'll consider a top rated Hankook.