Gx470 Radiator Leak And Front Wheel Bearings

Goldglove41

I have the same mileage on my 2004, which i just had in for service, and the technician advised I have a small leak in the radiator. I don't even get a drop on the driveway so I told him to leave it unaddressed. He did comment that it was common for the radiators to go early on these models. If the leak if minimal and only detectable by looking at the bottom of the radiator and seeing white crustation on the housing, I'd leave it alone unitl if/when the leak progresses. I'm sure Lexus will want $600-$700 for a radiator replacement.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same mileage on my 2004, which i just had in for service, and the technician advised I have a small leak in the radiator. I don't even get a drop on the driveway so I told him to leave it unaddressed. He did comment that it was common for the radiators to go early on these models. If the leak if minimal and only detectable by looking at the bottom of the radiator and seeing white crustation on the housing, I'd leave it alone unitl if/when the leak progresses. I'm sure Lexus will want $600-$700 for a radiator replacement.

I have a 2005 with just over 70,000 miles and had it in for a recent service. Same thing - advisor mentioned a small leak in the radiator, though as above, I have seen no sign of drips, etc. Told him to leave it for now.

BTW, I was quoted $1,175 to replace it, which is absolutely nuts! The radiator itself was shown as $917...

And I thought only BMW had radiator problems, as I have gone through this with two different bimmer models. Difference is that the part, even on the big sedan, was one-fifth the price I was quoted above...

Crazy.

Has anyone had these similar problems. We have a pin hole radiator leak in our 2006 after just 57k miles...this could not be the norm. Also, the front wheel bearing going out. Really?

Had the same problem at my 60K service for my 2006 GX. Told the service guy I had no evidence of a leak in my garage floor and he admitted it was a crusty pinhole leak and I wouldn't have known it without looking for it. They wanted $900+ but I had the extended warranty and it was covered under that.

• 5 months later...

Funny how things are very much the same. I took my 90,000 miles 2004 GX 470 for a new timing belt and other work (over $2,000) and was told this morning by the service rep about a pinhole leak and white crustation in the radiator. They quoted $1025 for part ($890) and labor ($135). I turned the work down because I haven't had any overheating problems and, like others, no leaks whatsoever. Quite frankly, I thought I was being "taken" by the dealer so I came to this blogsite to learn of others' experience with radiators.

It appears to be a common problem but I hope I get advance notice of if and when the radiator ultimately breaks down. $890 for a radiator! It must be made with precious metals or liquid gold antifreeze.

Had that same problem with the radiator a few years a go. Found a new OEM on ebay for less than half. Replaced it myself and no leaks since.

I am now hearing a FR wheel bearing noise. It looks like the job is not that bad, as long as you get the bearing pressed out/in to the hub by a machine shop. I would love to find a hub/bearing combo ready to bolt in. That would be a huge time saver.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had that same problem with the radiator a few years a go. Found a new OEM on ebay for less than half. Replaced it myself and no leaks since.

I am now hearing a FR wheel bearing noise. It looks like the job is not that bad, as long as you get the bearing pressed out/in to the hub by a machine shop. I would love to find a hub/bearing combo ready to bolt in. That would be a huge time saver.

here is a basic procedure for wheel bearing, I just did mine....machine shop will press it in and out for you for usually around $40....Good luck By the way my Vehicle is a RX400h....

http://www.clublexus...ep-by-step.html

however the GX470 uses a hub/bearing combination....see here

http://lexus.sewellp...GX470-2007.html

Also the assembly can be found a lot cheaper at alternative like RockAuto.com...But there are a host of sites with this part.