Planning To Get Rx400H In Socal And Export To Canada!

Hi there,

I am planning to purchase a used 2007 or 2008 rx400h with about 30 to 50,000mi in Socal and export to canada! Anything i have to look out or watch out when i purchase a used ones? any different between 07 vs 08 model? thx!

Only cosmetic changes were made for 2008, including:

-blue accented rear "L" badges

-blue tinted headlights and taillights

-exterior door handles were upgraded to chrome rather than body color.

-front grille was now more of a metallic gray rather than more black on 06-07.

-more exterior colors (including my color, smokey granite mica, which replaced the flint mica), maroon and a lighter red.

-for ones with black interior, dark walnut wood replaced the yellow birds eye maple on the 07's.

In 2007, changes were made from the 2006, including:

-Upgraded navigation screen (brightness, pixel clarity)

-radios could now read MP3's and WMA's as well as standard CD's

-the 2006 interior silver trim was now replaced with yellow birds eye maple wood.

-no need to reset the ICE system whenever the battery is replaced.

I would go with the 2008 for the added cosmetic changes, much more appealing in my opinion.

My only negative about the changes for 2008 was the discontinuation of the "neptune blue mica" color (dark blue) which was available for the 2006 and 2007 only. I would have really liked that color for 2008...

And i'm not aware of any "known" problems for the rx400h series besides the infamous "white dust on dash" problem caused by a poorly designed evaporator core. You will notice white powder coming out of the AC vents, covering the dash after a week or so. It's a HUGE project to replace, taking a few days. The Lexus dealer will replace the evap core with a newly designed one, all for FREE (part of a TSB), sort of like a recall. I don't believe all Rx400h's have the problem, but most do (mine did).

how about towing 2000lbs for long haul trip? any1 try it in the forum?

Never done it myself, but it's rated at 3500lbs (same as the Rx330 and Rx350). The Rx400h has a LOT of torque and a very well ventilated engine and transmission, so it should be OK. <_< Some/most of the Rx400h's produced also have the towing "prep" package standard (extra cooling i assume). I know mine does, even though there's no tow hitch.

how about towing 2000lbs for long haul trip? any1 try it in the forum?

Never done it myself, but it's rated at 3500lbs (same as the Rx330 and Rx350). The Rx400h has a LOT of torque and a very well ventilated engine and transmission, so it should be OK. <_< Some/most of the Rx400h's produced also have the towing "prep" package standard (extra cooling i assume). I know mine does, even though there's no tow hitch.

You can get a sense of prices by doing simple research: kbb.com - edmunds.com - also check the offerings (through the Web) of dealers in the area you're interested in.

2006 RX400h's are cheaper than the 07-08. $25k-30k in my area (Pacific NW). I opted for an 07, since I couldn't live without MP3 capability on the CD player (The 06 only plays regular CDs). The 07 with the Mark Levinson audio option plays CDs, MP3 CDs, and DVDs (video only when not moving). The other benefit of the 07-08 is the gen 5 multi-funtion LCD display with higher resolution and better navigation maps.