Fluid Changes

Rom576

I own a 2004 RX330 with 91,000 miles on it. I am ashamed to say that I haven't ever changed my transmission or differential fluids in the 7 years (purchased in 2003) I have owned the vehicle. I am considering keeping it for another two years which will put me at appx. 120,000 miles. I am prepared to replace the timing belt and do the other specified maint. items called out at the 90,000/100,000 mile mark. I have two questions:

1) should I consider the fluid replacements now at this late stage or take my chances going forward? I've heard that once you've passed a certain mileage level without replacing the fluids, it's best to just let it ride.

2) What are the odds that the transmission and differentials will be okay to the 120,000 mark?

Could use some advice.

Rom576

I'm not aware of any known failures of the rx330 transmissions, so it's not very urgent. Check the color and smell of the transmission fluid- if it appears dark or has a burned odor, i would have a transmission flush performed.

Some say that flushing a transmission with a LOT of dark fluid and debris could force the little particles in deeper places causing more damage, but unless the fluid is REALLY bad, it shouldn't be a problem.

Or, you could do a simple drain and fill, but you would most likely have to do it several times over a month period to do the job of a quick flush. You could also drop the pan and clean out the screen (which i believe the Rx330 has).

Based on the fact it's an Rx330 and of such a young age (7 years old isn't THAT bad) i think a flush would be your best bet. You should be able to get 120,000 miles plus, just as long as you check the fluid every so often.