Is300 Gas Milage

1998GS400

Own a 1998 GS400, and a Audi A4 (Quattro 2.8) .. the Audi's going and i'm buying a IS300 in its place, the main reason the Audi's on its way out is because of its poor fuel economy. Its rated at 18MPG, and it averages about 17-19MPG when driven in real life. The GS400 I currently own is also rated at 18MPG.. BUT I usually end up getting about 22-24MPG from it. I drive both cars the same way (mash on the gas just as often and driven on a highway the same distance) and they are driven to the same places. So why the difference? I want to know what IS 300 owners are getting fuel milage wise.. The GS will go about 450-470 on a tank of gas.. the Audi will only do about 350-375 on the SAME tank of gas (same amount of gas, cant think of liter figures off the top of my head) How far will a IS300 go on a tank of gas and how much gas does it take to fill it up?

Thanks for all the help in advance, and i hope i can come to love my new IS as much as my current GS.

-Please note i did a search and found nothing about this topic :D

If you're selling a car you already own to purchase a new car for better gas mileage you're making a terrible financial decision. Your new car would have to get hundreds of miles per gallon to get your money back. I'm not trying to talk you out of the IS, but I am trying to make sure you've done the math.

Our 2002 IS300 avg's 19-20 mpg. That's from a pretty even mix of sidestreets and highways. We do live in a hilly area and the automatic temp. control is almost always on (recirculate).

We've taken the IS on several long trips and the mileage has improved to 25mpg.

I love our IS and except for the fact that my wife insisted on getting an automatic, there isn't much I'd change in the car. At the time, and for the $, I think it was an excellent choice.

I do think the car should get better mileage for its weight and power ratings but I think its perhaps the gearing that precludes this.

Math is as follows:

I'm trying to sell the Audi A4 2.8Q for about $33k CDN (sport package CD changer, bose sound, tints, 3M etc, and the IS I'm looking into is $29,000 CDN. I'm not going to be at a financial loss when I sell one and buy the other.

The only downside of the IS is that it doesnt have the same features as the A4, such as Automatic Climate Control (its still a Toyota in my books,every Lexus should have this) Headlight Washers (need those in the winter when the snow starts to melt.. do US or UK IS3's have headlight washers? (just a question)), and a ARMREST (who makes a car without a armrest these days??? :angry: where can I get one?)

How far will the IS travel on a full tank of gas? I've read anywhre from 400 - 490 depending on driving style, traffic.. etc

About the economy ratings, they way they are determined is that they drive the car through a constant cycle, such as being stopped for 30 seconds, speeding up to 30km/h, staying at 30km/h, then stopping again. Highway ratings are almost the same, slow to 60km/h, speed up to 100km/h etc etc. In real life this doesnt happen, depending on where you live and traffic. Some cars will consume the almost the same amount of gas no matter at what speed it is going, and others like my GS400 will consume very different amounts of gas at different speeds.

Thanks again for the help..

Here's a pic of the car:

post-2-1076311663.jpg

The only downside of the IS is that it doesnt have the same features as the A4, such as Automatic Climate Control (its still a Toyota in my books,every Lexus should have this) Headlight Washers (need those in the winter when the snow starts to melt.. do US or UK IS3's have headlight washers? (just a question)), and a ARMREST (who makes a car without a armrest these days??? :angry:  where can I get one?) 

How far will the IS travel on a full tank of gas? I've read anywhre from 400 - 490 depending on driving style, traffic.. etc

I'm guessing then that you're buying a used IS300. At least in the US market, all IS300's beginning with MY2002 had an armrest.

All US IS300's also have automatic climate control.

US IS300's do not come with headlight washers.

I get between 300 and 400 miles on a tank of gas. The huge difference really lies in what kind of driving I'm doing. Everyday driving, 300 miles on a tank. Highway driving, 400 miles.

...all IS300's beginning with MY2002 had an armrest....

I am not sure what you are calling an armrest, but my 02 does not have an armrest, at least, I would not call it one. It seems more like a compartment with a cover. I had a local upholstery shop make up an insert with a matching material that I slip between the seats to get the "armrest feel" that I am looking for. There is an aftermarket armrest available at:

http://www.lextasy.com/is300_leather_arm_rest_1307_prd1.htm

Is the 2002 IS300 5 speed any better on gas then the "E-shift"? Most of the car websites state that the 5 speed and the automatic are the exact same, but i now learned that when it comes to fuel economy, what's on paper doesnt always mean what really happens in the real world. What kinda gas milage are the 5 speed owners getting?

-Taran