Air Conditioning Not Working?

kuziwk

so i ran the daig mode and nothing came up, so i need to refill the r14, my grandpa brought a kit over to refill it but the refilling nozzle that screws onto the line does not fit, i went to parts source and idiots working there didnt have anything. Called toyota and they couldnt think of anything and told me to call service, anyone know what to do?

When you say R14 I am assuming you mean R134A and not R12. You can buy the retrofit adapters almost anywhere (autozone, walmart, etc.) for ~$10. They come in a pack with a few different pieces for different applications.

When you say R14 I am assuming you mean R134A and not R12. You can buy the retrofit adapters almost anywhere (autozone, walmart, etc.) for ~$10. They come in a pack with a few different pieces for different applications.

sorry i mean R12...just woke up its exam week, yes i was at parts source and all they sold was the same adapter that came with my kit, i need one slightly smaller or possible one is metric and the other imperial, walmart you say?

I just saw that you were in Canada. Can you still get R12 there? If you are filling it with R12 a regular set of refrigerant gauges should work if you are filling it with a jug of refrigerant. If you are filling it with a can of R12 I believe you would need one of the old hose adapters. I have jerry rigged two different fittings together by cutting lines and splicing them with a barb and hose clamps; it is not ideal but the pressures are low enough you can get the job done. It might be easier to convert it to 134a, but you should pull a vacuum on the system.

I am still not quite clear on what you are doing since you mention a kit that you have.

The kit I mention from walmart is a r12 to r134a retrofit kit. It includes a few different adapters for different vehicle ages/types.

I just saw that you were in Canada. Can you still get R12 there? If you are filling it with R12 a regular set of refrigerant gauges should work if you are filling it with a jug of refrigerant. If you are filling it with a can of R12 I believe you would need one of the old hose adapters. I have jerry rigged two different fittings together by cutting lines and splicing them with a barb and hose clamps; it is not ideal but the pressures are low enough you can get the job done. It might be easier to convert it to 134a, but you should pull a vacuum on the system.

I am still not quite clear on what you are doing since you mention a kit that you have.

The kit I mention from walmart is a r12 to r134a retrofit kit. It includes a few different adapters for different vehicle ages/types.

not sure my grandpa has a kit but he has r12 gas, i went to toyota and for 20 bucks they have the retrofit adapter, from r12 to r134 or whatever so i hope it works when my grandpa brings it next time.

I am still not sure what you are doing (r12 or r134a) but if you do end up needing a r12 hose that hooks to a can I just saw them at autozone on my lunch break. You shouldn't need an adapter unless you are converting to 134a.

The kit from Toyota probably has the correct fitting for the high pressure side; I've used two retrofit kits and neither had the correct high pressure adapter but I didn't need it so I didn't care.

I am still not sure what you are doing (r12 or r134a) but if you do end up needing a r12 hose that hooks to a can I just saw them at autozone on my lunch break. You shouldn't need an adapter unless you are converting to 134a.

The kit from Toyota probably has the correct fitting for the high pressure side; I've used two retrofit kits and neither had the correct high pressure adapter but I didn't need it so I didn't care.

well i just picked up the retrofit adapter, doesnt look like its going to work, the one adapter that does fit doesnt have a pin to open the other valve pin in the air conditioner line. Not positive though cant know until my grandparents come again, which could be a few weeks. Meanwhile i have to open the windows which i hate doing because of all the dust, than that means i have to clean it twice a week :(.

Mixing R-12 and R-134a will cause your system to fail. I had my 90 converted to 134 for about $300 at a Honda dealer a few years ago. Then the compressor went south so now I pretty much park the car in the summer. Toyota dealer estimated $2500 to repair. I went and got my truck keys.

• 2 months later...