Check Engine

Musada

1990 Ls 400 121k miles

I was on my way to work and had the cruise control set and noticed that it would jerk/hesitate every couple of seconds. but while accelerating it seems to drive fine. when I got to work the check engine light came on. prior to this it was having trouble accelerating....like I would have trouble climbing hills from a complete stop until it gets to third gear.it does idle a bit rough. I got it tuned up back in december and also had some seafoam tran through the fuel system.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i finally took it to get a diagnostic and its got a code 13. They said its misfiring, some of the cylinders aren't firing, and that RPM signal open or short. Don't know what that means. Apparently my transmission needs a rebuild. That the ATF is contaminated with friction materials that have a burnt odor, ICC engagement is harsh and engine misfires and jerks under load.

So what do you guys think?

Well i finally took it to get a diagnostic and its got a code 13. They said its misfiring, some of the cylinders aren't firing, and that RPM signal open or short. Don't know what that means. Apparently my transmission needs a rebuild. That the ATF is contaminated with friction materials that have a burnt odor, ICC engagement is harsh and engine misfires and jerks under load.

So what do you guys think?

Well I would get the engine mis firing and CEL code fixed before ripping out the tranny. That sounds a tad suspect. Along the lines of a service writer trolling for a high ticket repair. ATF will naturally contaminate overtime as friction disks wear out. Maybe a tranny fluid drain and replace would be next step after engine sorted out.

Whatever you do, don't let them touch your transmission. Maybe when they did the tuneup, they left a wire against a manifold. Look for cheap easy things first, then work your way up.

well it seems to bad gas. no more sputtering since.i started only using chevron.

but now there is another problem. my transmission is pouring transmission fliud out seemingly right after i took it to aamco transmission.for the diagnostic. it didnt even drip before this. you think theu may have did something? where could it be coming from