Engine Pinging

driver8

Any ideas on this one??

As my engine heats up...I notice a distinct 'pinging' sound on acceleration, or going up a hill.

Use supreme gas *91...clean 5/30 oil, neither are low.

This has just started in the past 3 weeks...165K...almost new!

Couple of questions: What year is your car? Have you tried 93/94 octane and noticed any improvement?

Hi landar-

I have never seen 93/94 octane!

Highest here is 91...it is a 1990.

do you think it is just a gas issue?..that would actually make me feel better!!...I thot it might be something more serious!

Thanks

If the pinging is engine knock it could be the anti knock sensor in the engine. If it weren't working the ecu wouldn't know the engine is knocking and wouldn't make the adjustments for it. As always I'd dump the ECU log codes before trying anything. There may be some bread crumbs there to start with. Is CEL on? I haven't seen many complaints of the knock sensor in these cars so it isn't too common. Maybe its something else.

Hi landar-

do you think it is just a gas issue?..that would actually make me feel better!!...I thot it might be something more serious!

Thanks

I am not saying that is is simply a gas issue. I am trying to get some new clues. If you used a higher octane gas and if it did help, it might assist in determining the actual problem.

Since you say the pinging is a relatively new issue within the last 3 weeks, perhaps it is a knock sensor as curiousB mentioned. Or maybe you just got a tank of "bad" gas. Not likely but could be that simple if you've lived a clean life. Run your current tank to empty and find a top-tier gas station (Shell, Chevron, Texaco, Exxon, Mobil, etc) and fill up with PREMIUM and see if the pinging persists.

Hi landar-

Thanks

I am not saying that is is simply a gas issue. I am trying to get some new clues. If you used a higher octane gas and if it did help, it might assist in determining the actual problem.

Since you say the pinging is a relatively new issue within the last 3 weeks, perhaps it is a knock sensor as curiousB mentioned. Or maybe you just got a tank of "bad" gas. Not likely but could be that simple if you've lived a clean life. Run your current tank to empty and find a top-tier gas station (Shell, Chevron, Texaco, Exxon, Mobil, etc) and fill up with PREMIUM and see if the pinging persists.

Thanks landar % curiousB---

I will take your advice...codes...higher octane gas...thanks so much for the help!

If the pinging is engine knock it could be the anti knock sensor in the engine. If it weren't working the ecu wouldn't know the engine is knocking and wouldn't make the adjustments for it. As always I'd dump the ECU log codes before trying anything. There may be some bread crumbs there to start with. Is CEL on? I haven't seen many complaints of the knock sensor in these cars so it isn't too common. Maybe its something else.

Thaks curious

What is CEL?...

What is CEL?...

"Check Engine Light" Indicates ECU has detected and error condition and is holding an error code in the log.

thanks curious!

so far so good...I have noticed less engine noise...so I am hoping it is just a bad gas issue.

thank you so much...I am just learning mechanics...and your help is very much appreciated.

Newbee here -I was just wondering if the pinging could be from the timing belt needing to be replaced?Or is there an easy way to check if you need a new one?My 92 with 245,000 has the same ping and ive ran a tank of premium with octane booster and i cleaned the maf,with no change-she runns smooth and excellerates great but as described during excelleration but not full or 3 quarters it will ping.As ive just bought this car i have lots to sort but this ping has left me worried that the belt will snap suddenly leaving me buying a motor

Newbee here -I was just wondering if the pinging could be from the timing belt needing to be replaced?Or is there an easy way to check if you need a new one?My 92 with 245,000 has the same ping and ive ran a tank of premium with octane booster and i cleaned the maf,with no change-she runns smooth and excellerates great but as described during excelleration but not full or 3 quarters it will ping.As ive just bought this car i have lots to sort but this ping has left me worried that the belt will snap suddenly leaving me buying a motor

Interesting question, Jon. I suppose if there is some slop in the belt teeth and cam sprocket, it might affect the spark timing somewhat. Enough to cause pinging...don't know. I rather doubt it.

You are supposed to change timing belts every 90k miles or 6 years, whichever comes first. Your '92 is a "non-interference" engine, so a snapped belt will not harm your motor. Just leave you stranded. With 245k on your engine, there could also be considerable carbon deposits on the head and piston which will exacerbate a pinging (predetonation) issue. If your timing belt has more than 90k miles, I would consider changing it out. Then you can let us know if it made a difference.

Interesting question, Jon. I suppose if there is some slop in the belt teeth and cam sprocket, it might affect the spark timing somewhat. Enough to cause pinging...don't know. I rather doubt it.

You are supposed to change timing belts every 90k miles or 6 years, whichever comes first. Your '92 is a "non-interference" engine, so a snapped belt will not harm your motor. Just leave you stranded. With 245k on your engine, there could also be considerable carbon deposits on the head and piston which will exacerbate a pinging (predetonation) issue. If your timing belt has more than 90k miles, I would consider changing it out. Then you can let us know if it made a difference.

Thats good to know as ive always been gun shy when it came to cars with belts instead of chain,I might do a sea foam treatment just to do what i can to clear it up before going to the money jobs,thank you for the advice

Hello Newbie,

If you are uncertain about the Condition of the Timing Belt you need to at least inspect it closely to see if you can squeeze a few more miles till you can get it changed out - good luck with solving the pinging issue, I would definately start with the basics and work your way up from there, I actually did have a pinched plug wire under the plastic cover that caused my car to misfire -

My 90 has never had any ping issues. Perhaps landar said it best, use Top Tier fuels as they meet exceptional standards far exceeding minimum requirements. I try to use Shell but Exxon or BP works good. I guess I dropped BP from my list and by the looks of things on my my last road trip, so has everyone else.

Another source of pinging is a carbon buildup inside your cylinder heads. If you drive normal, never really exceeding 3,500 RPM's, then sometimes, especially when combined with using discount gasoline, carbon buildup will occur. I guess due to my rather heavy right foot, I haven't had such problems. I would suggest going to Advance Auto and buying a bottle of Valoline Complete Fuel Syetem Cleaner ($10), dump it in, add some top tier and take it out on the Interstate and accelerate heavily. If you look in your mirror and see black stuff then you might be carboned up.

What happens is that the carbon deposits actually build up inside the combustion chamber. Some of these deposits can get quite thick. The carbon remains glowing after the compression and ignition cycle and it ignitites the mixture prematurely as the intake cycle begins. The result is pinging or pre-ignition or as it is often called. The computer is suppose to !Removed! the timing in such events but when there is a constant source of premature ignition, there isn't much even it can do. Left unchecked, it will damage an engine.

Good gasoline, high RPM's

Jon- Just to let you know..my timing belt is only a year old..I doubt that is my problem. A friend of mine told me to take the car for a long drive, at 60mph at least and that might get some of the carbon out...that is what he thought it might be...so I did...and it has improved.

Sooooo, I think my problem was that I have not been driving for long enuf periods of time...and fast enuf...lots of around the town trips..plus, I think I just got a couple bad tanks of gas...It is still pinging a bit...but is much better.

These cars love to be driven at high speeds for long trips...

My 90 has never had any ping issues. Perhaps landar said it best, use Top Tier fuels as they meet exceptional standards far exceeding minimum requirements. I try to use Shell but Exxon or BP works good. I guess I dropped BP from my list and by the looks of things on my my last road trip, so has everyone else.

Another source of pinging is a carbon buildup inside your cylinder heads. If you drive normal, never really exceeding 3,500 RPM's, then sometimes, especially when combined with using discount gasoline, carbon buildup will occur. I guess due to my rather heavy right foot, I haven't had such problems. I would suggest going to Advance Auto and buying a bottle of Valoline Complete Fuel Syetem Cleaner ($10), dump it in, add some top tier and take it out on the Interstate and accelerate heavily. If you look in your mirror and see black stuff then you might be carboned up.

What happens is that the carbon deposits actually build up inside the combustion chamber. Some of these deposits can get quite thick. The carbon remains glowing after the compression and ignition cycle and it ignitites the mixture prematurely as the intake cycle begins. The result is pinging or pre-ignition or as it is often called. The computer is suppose to !Removed! the timing in such events but when there is a constant source of premature ignition, there isn't much even it can do. Left unchecked, it will damage an engine.

Good gasoline, high RPM's