Flex Pipe Issue

1. 1. Slowly Kill myself but have loud exhaust vs fix it now!

• Slowly kill myself by inhaling lots of carbon monoxide, but exhaust sounds better than my friend's ls1 camaro
    • Fix it now

Guys this is my current situation. I pull out of a stop sign, and rev my engine to around 2k rpm, and it just sounded like my vtec just kicked in. I mean like it scared me, i thought at first i blew a gasket. But had a friend and a mechanic check, it was a flex pipe. I am looking into replacing that flex pipe, because it is just too loud for my neighborhood, and there's carbon monoxide. I am wondering if anyone out there that had this problem previously, and could link me a site that sells cheap flex pipes. Thanks Ben

Guys this is my current situation. I pull out of a stop sign, and rev my engine to around 2k rpm, and it just sounded like my vtec just kicked in. I mean like it scared me, i thought at first i blew a gasket. But had a friend and a mechanic check, it was a flex pipe. I am looking into replacing that flex pipe, because it is just too loud for my neighborhood, and there's carbon monoxide. I am wondering if anyone out there that had this problem previously, and could link me a site that sells cheap flex pipes. Thanks Ben

Have you tried Google? And you don't have VTEC.

He meant the sound his car is now making due to having no pipe. not that he "had" vtec...

bl2k400, when you say flex pipe do you mean the flange?

its like under passenger side front about where their feet would be, looks like a springy mesh accordian type metal flexy piece ?

If this is the same thing you are talking about on my old 95 i had it die on me too. because the exaust system was actually made 1 piece the "fix" would cost 1.2k and be replacing the entire front to muffler type thing.

The other option was a locally private guy doing flange replacements of sorts. i had rang him up and he said he could make a custom piece that would fit, the only thing i would need to do is cut both ends off the car, remove the old one, and have the new piece welded in its place. that cost was going to be about 280 bucks.

hope that helps!

He meant the sound his car is now making due to having no pipe. not that he "had" vtec...

bl2k400, when you say flex pipe do you mean the flange?

its like under passenger side front about where their feet would be, looks like a springy mesh accordian type metal flexy piece ?

If this is the same thing you are talking about on my old 95 i had it die on me too. because the exaust system was actually made 1 piece the "fix" would cost 1.2k and be replacing the entire front to muffler type thing.

The other option was a locally private guy doing flange replacements of sorts. i had rang him up and he said he could make a custom piece that would fit, the only thing i would need to do is cut both ends off the car, remove the old one, and have the new piece welded in its place. that cost was going to be about 280 bucks.

hope that helps!

That is exactly what i am talking about. I had a look under the car, and the pipe was a one piece with the cat. It is like $500 to get a new cat & flex from auto zone, so i am just gonna take it to a junkyard, and get a new flex tube, and just meld it in. And yes i know that i dont have a vtec, just that my car is louder than a vtec....lol

If you can find one in the scrapyard that is.

the oem ones last a good 140k easily my 95 had 180k on the oem b4 it burned a hole in it. so you might only be delaying the exact same problem by 10k or something by scrapyard hunting.

its still an option but i'de rather get a custom flange job done and pay the 250 to have it last 100k rather than 10...

still your gamble might pay off. good luck either way (and its called a flange not a flex :P )

If you can find one in the scrapyard that is.

the oem ones last a good 140k easily my 95 had 180k on the oem b4 it burned a hole in it. so you might only be delaying the exact same problem by 10k or something by scrapyard hunting.

its still an option but i'de rather get a custom flange job done and pay the 250 to have it last 100k rather than 10...

still your gamble might pay off. good luck either way (and its called a flange not a flex :P )

Well i would like a oem part, however i cant find one. My lexus has 220k miles on it, and from what i know, it never had a blown flange b4. I want to take it to a lexus dealer and get it fixed, but Im pretty sure it would be expensive as hell. I'm going to call up some mechanic friends to see if they have any other solutions. Don't want to spend too much money on the car, because i am ready to get a new car, and the lexus would just be a spare.