New To Detailing: Nooby Questions

Hi there!

I’m definitely a noob to detailing, but I think I’ve come to the right place! I’ve done a good deal of reading, and expect to do a lot more.

I have a new-to-me 99 LS in black with a gray bottom, it’s one of my favorite color combinations. When I got the car home and in the sun light, I noticed a lot of little scratches by the door, and on the trunk deck lid. Seems like the previous owner might have used the trunk as a spot to put her purse and then dragged it off the trunk once she got her keys. I understand that this black color doesn’t have a clear coat on it. Most of what I have read involves using a compound to level out the clear coat for light scratches. There are also very small portions of the paint that look as though they are hazy.

I would like to bring it back as much shine as I can! Here are my questions:

1. For the black non-clear coated paint, can I use a gentle swirl remover on a rotary?

a. What would the suggestion be on a pad to use?

2. For small scratches where I can see white (which I assume to be primer), I can apply some touch up paint, but I would also like to get the end result as close to factory as I can. I need to get a good tutorial on how to do this. Does anyone have favorite websites they would share?

3. Forgive my noobiness, but am I correct in that claying non-clear coated paint has the same benefits as claying clear coated paint?

4. For paint haze, product recommendations (Megs Ultimate Compound?)?

Thanks so much for the advice. I’ve learned a lot just reading the forum!

Micah

Hey Micah,

Do you have experience using a rotary polisher? If not I wouldn't learn on that car, the paint is so soft you can do a lot of damage.

What you need is an orbital polisher, like a FLEX. Have you read the tutorials I've posted?

Steve,

Thanks for your reply! I've read through many tutorials here and on the Club Lexus forums, taking me from absolute zero knowledge base to something a little higher. Some I've learned additional info after my original post. Meguiars has a nice video tutorial. I'm thinking on the Lexus, I will work by hand. It dawned on me today that I could practice paint repair on my clothes dryer, which has tons of scrapes. And if I burn through the paint using the rotary, no big deal.

My wife has some pretty deep scratches on her car that I'm also going to repair. But truthfully, I would rather burn through the Lexus paint than screw up her car, and I DON'T want to screw up my car's paint! :lol:

By hand you will need to concentrate on hiding imperfections not removing them, so look at nice polishes with lots of oils and plan on keeping a coat of carnuaba wax on it every month or so to keep it looking its best.