Need Some Feedback

gpz

hi ! i am shopping a convertable. Presently i have 2 BMWs 328i. I have driven the Z4, SLK , Boxter and Lexus SC. I have always leased and been under warranty. I am looking to keep this car for a long time maybe 10 years so reliability is a big issue especially when the warranty ends and i am looking to buy certified ideally. Yesterday after my wife found the SLK which is my favorite style a bit uncomfortable for road trips i drove a new SL500 ($100,000)that was the most excelerating car i have ever driven with the perfect balance between performance and luxury which isw good value certified. I then went onto the Mercedes forum and heard some nightmare stories on SL500. So my question is even though the Lexus SC gets a bad wrap for style and performance compared to it's German counterparts is it truly trouble free as far as maintainance and reliability ? The weird thing is the Mercedes, BMW and Lexus all seem to get very good dependibility ratings on JD Powers and other sites but when you talk to owners you get another story. thanks !

hi ! i am shopping a convertable. Presently i have 2 BMWs 328i. I have driven the Z4, SLK , Boxter and Lexus SC. I have always leased and been under warranty. I am looking to keep this car for a long time maybe 10 years so reliability is a big issue especially when the warranty ends and i am looking to buy certified ideally. Yesterday after my wife found the SLK which is my favorite style a bit uncomfortable for road trips i drove a new SL500 ($100,000)that was the most excelerating car i have ever driven with the perfect balance between performance and luxury which isw good value certified. I then went onto the Mercedes forum and heard some nightmare stories on SL500. So my question is even though the Lexus SC gets a bad wrap for style and performance compared to it's German counterparts is it truly trouble free as far as maintainance and reliability ? The weird thing is the Mercedes, BMW and Lexus all seem to get very good dependibility ratings on JD Powers and other sites but when you talk to owners you get another story. thanks !

We currently own a 2007 Lexus ES350 and a 2006 SC430, which my wife drives. Her previous car was a VW Bug convertible. I insisted that she get rid of it because of continued miscellaneous problems and repairs. We are happy with our cars. Before the ES, I owned a Camry for 10 years. The only reason I got rid of it was because I was just tired of it. It was to date, the most dependable car I ever owned. I've heard others say the same thing about Toyota products.

As far as comfort is concerned, my ES is very comfortable on road trips, but it's not a convertible. My wife's says she finds her SC comfortable, but I'm 6'3, so for me there's not enough headroom. I find that few cars address performance and comfort well in the same package. It tends to be one or the other. Unless you are looking for a Bentley Continental Supersports.$$$$

Final note: I don't know if you can avoid horror stories from any make. There are always lemons and design flaws at every manufacturer. Just be aware that some have more than others.

We currently own a 2007 Lexus ES350 and a 2006 SC430, which my wife drives. Her previous car was a VW Bug convertible. I insisted that she get rid of it because of continued miscellaneous problems and repairs. We are happy with our cars. Before the ES, I owned a Camry for 10 years. The only reason I got rid of it was because I was just tired of it. It was to date, the most dependable car I ever owned. I've heard others say the same thing about Toyota products.

As far as comfort is concerned, my ES is very comfortable on road trips, but it's not a convertible. My wife's says she finds her SC comfortable, but I'm 6'3, so for me there's not enough headroom. I find that few cars address performance and comfort well in the same package. It tends to be one or the other. Unless you are looking for a Bentley Continental Supersports.$$$$

Final note: I don't know if you can avoid horror stories from any make. There are always lemons and design flaws at every manufacturer. Just be aware that some have more than others.

thanks ! i joined all the forums lexus, porsche, bmw, mercedes and this is the most logical reply i have gotten yet. Yes it is shocking the amount of unreliability issues in the auto world. In my profession of 50 years (music) from the bottom to the top i wouldn't of lastest 30 seconds if i was unreliable. I expect that from everyone i do business with so why not my car company ? I can't see why a $25,000 Honda Accord or Toyota Camry should be more reliable than a $60,000 Porsche Boxter or $100,000 Mercedes SL500 - total illogic. It's not just the money but also hassles and unreliability spoil the fun and joy for me. Having said all that aesthetics and the driving experience count. I am looking for a convertable that has the perfect balance of performance and luxury. I drove the Boxter and not enough luxury and same with the Z4. The Lexus SC was a winner on Luxury but as far as the aesthetic "lines" and performance something was missing only for me. Then i drove a $100,000 Mercedes SL500 and it was the most exilerating experience ever and then went on to the forums and it was a reliability nightmare. So i guess it will have to be a comprimise somewhere. I have always leased my cars and haven't bought a used car since i was a teenager. I would like to keep this car for 10 years as a every day driving car and do some road trips up the California coast with my wife. As of now it looks like the Lexus SC is the only luxury car to fill all these needs ? Glenn

I have heard the comments about the SC430 but remember that looks are subjective. I have an 02 silver with the ecru interior (light tan) with the light blonde wood interior. With the top up or down, I think the looks are far more attractive than the cars you mentioned. As far as reliability again in my opinion there is no comparison. We have an Acura RL and the SC and from this point on they are the only manufacturers that I would own. JD Powers rated the SC as the most reliable car and the SL as one of the least reliable. I find it funny that people would spend that amount on a Mercedes with that reliabilty track record.

post-103996-127720730471_thumb.jpg

gpz, If you want the exhilaration of a Porsche taking corners at high speed, do not consider the SC430.

If you want the growl of a Viper hitting the redline, again do not consider the SC430.

If however, you are looking for a car that offers reliability, comfort and luxury, there is none finer then the Lexus SC430.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Those that disparage the exterior style of the SC430 seem to favor sharp edges. I do not. I really like the way the SC430 looks as a convertible and as a coupe. In fact, I think that the elegance of its overall design makes it a match for any luxury car on the market; and, it costs so much less then say the SL500.

My SC gets me onto freeways with the burst of speed necessary to safely enter the higher speed lanes. It also cruises comfortably at whatever speed I wish to choose when traveling across long desert stretches between cities.

The interior of the SC is superior to any new Audi, BMW or Mercedes I have ever owned (and I have owned quite a few). My 2008 is tasteful and luxuriously appointed.

The hard top roof raises and lowers quickly and enables me to enjoy a cruise down the boulevard or drive comfortably in poor weather.

With good tires to replace the run flats, I think that the SC430 is a winner in every way.

thanks guys and i really appreciate it. I think i am going to take another test drive with my wife before i make my final decision. The lexus dealer who was looking out for me just got a 2004 in on trade that he is prepping for certification as i see there is less and less SCs around lately and thewy move pretty fast. I think to some degree from what i have read the intent of the SC from the designers has been mis-interpreted. I know from my profession (music) sometimes when you try to create something out of the box that is not easy to put a label on you can run into a lot of criticism. I don't think the SC was ever intended on competing with Porsche or Mercedes roadster world. Maybe possibly the SL500 but no way is Japonese going to outshine the tradition as far as racing and performance that the Germans have spent a 100 years perfecting and i don't think the SC ever intended on going after that market. I would curious on your call on the run flats though as i have them on my BMWs and my wife likes the security and with the trunk space in the SC it can be an issue ? Also what might i expect as far as milage cruising on long trips in the SC ? thanks, GPZ