95 Es300 Tranny Lost Fluid

My 95 es300 broke down last night on the expressway. It wouldn't accelerate past 40 and smoke started appearing from under the car. Then the car just kept losing speed while I was trying to make it to the shoulder. the Tachometer would move but of course speedometer wasn't. police came then tow truck came and when the car was hoisted up it looked like tranny fluid was leaking. checked this morning to see and there's no tranny fluid in the car anymore. I'm guessing the tranny is done for? or maybe just a pan leak or something and adding fluid again and stopping the leak it should be ok? any help would be appreciated.

Before they came out with the ES300 there was a Toyota Cressida that filled the same market niche. My wife had 2 of them, both wonderful cars. The second one had pretty much the same kind of experience that you describe. She pulled out to pass a car on the highway and when she pushed the accelerator the car quit moving forward. She coasted to the shoulder of the road and called for a tow. There was no fluid leak in her case, but a dead torque converter was the culprit.

In your case with the loss of fluid I'd bet that your tranny is toast. Unless the service tech can verify that replacing a seal is all that's required, I'd be putting a good used transmission in it. Good Luck!

Before they came out with the ES300 there was a Toyota Cressida that filled the same market niche. My wife had 2 of them, both wonderful cars. The second one had pretty much the same kind of experience that you describe. She pulled out to pass a car on the highway and when she pushed the accelerator the car quit moving forward. She coasted to the shoulder of the road and called for a tow. There was no fluid leak in her case, but a dead torque converter was the culprit.

In your case with the loss of fluid I'd bet that your tranny is toast. Unless the service tech can verify that replacing a seal is all that's required, I'd be putting a good used transmission in it. Good Luck!

yea I got the car back today. it was a broken seal in the crankshaft i believe where the rod slides through or something like that. Might have misheard the mechanic. he showed me the old seal. but yea he replaced it filled it up. he didn't see anymore leaks and been driving it around and seems to be acting just fine. going to let it sit check in the morning to see if there's anymore leaks then drive it to work maybe go a little hard at it and then make sure all is good.