Egr Tube Leaking,,,rats!

turboomni

I believe I have an EGR tube crack/leak. I've been searching here and other forums on the best way to either remove the egr completely [delete] ,or replace the tube with a new one and the horror of the replacing it. I guess the Lexus dealers want to Pull the tranny to do it in some cases!!!!!! :geek: .

There is an interesting mod of cutting the old tube and replacing the center accordian section with a new piece and using the old ends by using plumbing supply connectors to connect everything.

Unless there is a good overall reason to I don't want to do the egr delete. I hear it can cause detonation at part throttle as there will be a lean condition when the engine doesn't recieve the exhaust gasses into the intake.

I also heard that bad motor mounts will crack the tube,,I don't understand why. Does the tube flex in anyway when the throttle is applied?? I can't believe that. I dont believe mine are bad. Is that correct the mounts can cause this??

Where's the best place to buy a new EGR tube and other Lexus parts??

Thanks

I just replaced mine on the 97, not too hard, just remove the pass side cat conv, lower rear crossmember and out it comes.

parts were:

pipe 25601-50060 117.60

gskt 25634-50010 5.43

gskt 25628-50010 1.24

from Park Place Lexus in Plano

I just replaced mine on the 97, not too hard, just remove the pass side cat conv, lower rear crossmember and out it comes.

parts were:

pipe 25601-50060 117.60

gskt 25634-50010 5.43

gskt 25628-50010 1.24

Hey thanks for the pep talk! That is good news for sure that you didn't find it to bad to do. I'll give it a go.

Thanks for the reply.

parts were:

pipe 25601-50060 117.60

gskt 25634-50010 5.43

gskt 25628-50010 1.24

Hey thanks for the pep talk! That is good news for sure that you didn't find it to bad to do. I'll give it a go.

Thanks for the reply.

YOU can do it..... I am 76... but I am also a retired mechanic

the video is for size...

post-5365-127636308921_thumb.jpg

post-5365-127636322474_thumb.jpg

Thanks again Billy ,you have been so helpful. By the way I absolutely loved your slide show of cars you have owned,Great stuff!!!!!

I noticed that generally the newer or more recent the car the more likely it was white or light in color.

Since I used to live in San Antonio I can relate to that choice ,,heat of the sun maybe?/

I saw your Comet station wagon and it brought back memeories of my first car. As a kid my first car was a 64 Falcon station wagon. Had a Ford Cortina GT too.

75 you said you are and did that job huh?? You must be doing something right sir!

All the Best to you !!

Billy - who's that sharp looking guy standing at the back of the 50 Ford? LOL - great photo, best of the bunch!

My family had a 49 Ford Tudor, which was sold just before I learned to drive in 1971, so I missed taking my turn. But I waxed that '49 until my arms fell off. Good looking car. And the 74 Ford pickup - another classic.

Enjoyed the slide show!

SRK

Billy - who's that sharp looking guy standing at the back of the 50 Ford? LOL - great photo, best of the bunch!

My family had a 49 Ford Tudor, which was sold just before I learned to drive in 1971, so I missed taking my turn. But I waxed that '49 until my arms fell off. Good looking car. And the 74 Ford pickup - another classic.

Enjoyed the slide show!

SRK

Thanks, that was the 25th of June, 1952, my 18th birthday, I had just graduated and bought it and put the C-kit on.

quite a story on the 74 pickup, I ordered it special from Ford, had them shut down the line and paint it that special Red, then continue with their colors. AND the next year they included the same Red paint in their line... and charged me 300. extra. I think Ford pickups have been number 1 ever since.. but I have enjoyed my cars.. still do.. LS400 for me.Oh,,had a horse too as a boy

post-5365-127648288639_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'm getting ready to have this repair done. I'm taking it to a small shop owned by a family friend, but I have to obtain the parts myself beforehand. I just want to make sure I'm buying the right stuff before I buy. My car is also a '97, and I've found the above mentioned parts (pipe 25601-50060, gskt 25634-50010, and gskt 25628-50010) in stock. What's concerning me is, when I specify my exact car, browsing the catalog doesn't turn up any EGR system parts available for a '97. But when I search by part number, these show up. My question is, if the part number is a match, the part has to be compatible, right? An earlier or later LS400 with slightly different fitting parts would have different part numbers, correct?

I apologize for the seemingly ignorant questions, I just want to make sure I order the correct parts.

Thanks in advance!

I'm getting ready to have this repair done. I'm taking it to a small shop owned by a family friend, but I have to obtain the parts myself beforehand. I just want to make sure I'm buying the right stuff before I buy. My car is also a '97, and I've found the above mentioned parts (pipe 25601-50060, gskt 25634-50010, and gskt 25628-50010) in stock. What's concerning me is, when I specify my exact car, browsing the catalog doesn't turn up any EGR system parts available for a '97. But when I search by part number, these show up. My question is, if the part number is a match, the part has to be compatible, right? An earlier or later LS400 with slightly different fitting parts would have different part numbers, correct?

I apologize for the seemingly ignorant questions, I just want to make sure I order the correct parts.

Thanks in advance!

mine is a 97, and that is what I used