Rear Drive Shaft

3JBS

How many GX470 owners out there have experienced a loud bumping noise and accompanying sensation of being tapped in the rear? My vehicle actually moves forward. I have brought it in for repairs three times now. Twice I was told it was a normal characteristic of the vehicle. Recently, I went for a test drive with the tech. He advised me that Lexus is aware of the "defect" but will not acknowledge it and that they have stopped using the defective component. Apparently the splines on the slip yoke for the rear drive shaft do not allow the vehicle to move as designed. Thus, the full weight of the vehicle is propelled forward after you come to a stop when the weight of the vehicle causes the rear drive shaft to slip. Has anyone had this repaired successfully? Has anyone been able to get the manufacturer to buy the vehicle back?

• 1 month later...

Our 2003 GX470 has this problem. It feels like another vehicle hits us at about 3 mph when we are stopped at a light or whatever. It is a loud thump with a forward thrust of the whole car a few inches. VERY disconcerting. Three complaints/visits to the dealership has provided us with the same reply "Our engineers know of the problem and when they find a solution you will be notified."

Come on! This is a 2003 we are talking about. This problem has been known by Lexus since the 2003's came out in late 2002. How long will it take Lexus to find a 'solution'...another 2 years? Never?

My take on this is Lexus is stonewalling by pretending to look for a solution to a problem they just won't address because it will cost $$, has relatively few vehicles affected and will not give them a proportionate $$ return by fixing it.

I am seriously considering consulting an attorney to see if a class action suit is feasable. What do you think? Lexus will all of a sudden 'find' a solution and have a recall/repair if enough lawsuits are on the horizon? I just may have to find out. :censored:

:angry: I have had a very strange jerking sensation when stopped at a light, as if the suv is trying to lurch forward. I now know it is a flaw in the design and supposedly the engineers are trying to find a fix. I have heard nothing from the dealership and I am getting pretty tired of the runaround. Does anyone have this problem and does anyone want to get together to make them fix it? I think we have lemons and in Florida there is a lemon law. There must be something we can do about it.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem with my new GX, brought it in for the 5000 mile service and they said they were going to replace the rear drive shaft. Of course it's not in stock so we'll see how long it takes. No mention of this being a commen problem.

• 1 month later...

your service guys are either not well informed or dishonest; its a simple drive shaft which needs to be replaced with a newer model; The torque from the engine was to much for the drive shaft and thus the problem. I think the new one will be made of nickel but not sure. this is an old problem they should have told you i do know the parts are back ordered.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys, i used to have the problem. now here's one thing to consider, when u go and have ur driveshaft replaced, hook up with the most experienced mechanic at ur dealer. 2nd, tell that mechanic to be sure that he has greased up the driveshaft. cuz with mine, the first time, a newbie did it and the thump was only 80% gone. :angry: then the new mechanic knew what to do, even solved the new vibration that was caused by the fixing of that newbie! :chairshot:

• 11 months later...

Lexus bought back my '03 and I purchased an '05. The '05 just had the drive shaft replaced after 3,000 miles. So far the latest fix has worked for 1,800 miles. However, we have had electrical issues. The up / down arrows on the clock display ceased to work. The left side mirror will not drop down when placed in reverse. When it does drop, it does not restore to its setting.

Lexus bought back my '03 and I purchased an '05.  The '05 just had the drive shaft replaced after 3,000 miles.  So far the latest fix has worked for 1,800 miles.  However, we have had electrical issues.  The up / down arrows on the clock display ceased to work.  The left side mirror will not drop down when placed in reverse.  When it does drop, it does not restore to its setting.

they bought it back because of the thump? or did u claim it as lemon? (i'm not sure how the lemon thingy works)

I mentioned that it qualified under lemon law due to the excessive number of days out of service and the inability to get rid of the thump despite three drive shafts having been replaced. They were actually very nice about it and did not force me to go lemon law. Bought it back minus a small usage charge. Unfortunately, the 2005 I bought has also had the drive shaft replaced, suffers from the drivers side mirror not returning to memory set position, outside temp is always wrong, etc..

I mentioned that it qualified under lemon law due to the excessive number of days out of service and the inability to get rid of the thump despite three drive shafts having been replaced.  They were actually very nice about it and did not force me to go lemon law.  Bought it back minus a small usage charge.  Unfortunately, the 2005 I bought has also had the drive shaft replaced, suffers from the drivers side mirror not returning to memory set position, outside temp is always wrong, etc..

i did read about that in the lemon law book but i decided that it might be too hard, and stressful if i tried it. so i decided to keep mine. for me, i was thinking they'd probably fight it and it'll all be just one big mess. anyway, one little thump really doesn't hurt, does it? ;) B)

Every time I come to a stop I am now waiting to hear a bump, None yet on my 2005 March build with a little over 500 miles. Was this more of a problem with 2003-2004's? Am curios to hear if any 2005 owners have had the problem. I bought mine after my brother bought his and neither of us have had a single issue as of yet.

well, as per my service advisor, he says about 95% of GX470s have the clunk issue. it's probably a minor design flaw so it may happen to a lot of GX470s, and some may go lucky not having it. i don't really care about it that much. they might just break something else if i have them fix it. ;)