Air Suspension

nc211

Hey LX crew, a pocket of the forum I haven't spent much time in over the years. You guys are some of the quietest around here, so I figured that probably due to the lack of complaints on the LX! I'm in the market for a larger SUV, and very curious about the durability of the air suspension setup on these trucks? I'm looking in the 02-03 model years, with around 80k miles or so. Obviously, I'd have the vin run by the lexus dealer for all the records and such. The only thing that spooks me about the LX vs. the Land Cruiser is the differences in the suspension setup. God knows I (or anyone for that matter) wants to face the costs of repairing a Lexus air suspension system....ouch! Been telling folks over on the LS forum to avoid this feature for the utter cost to service. But, have to assume the LX system is beefier due to the SUV nature of the vehicle.

So...any problems beyond a turn of a wrench to level it out?

Thanks LX family!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey LX crew, a pocket of the forum I haven't spent much time in over the years. You guys are some of the quietest around here, so I figured that probably due to the lack of complaints on the LX! I'm in the market for a larger SUV, and very curious about the durability of the air suspension setup on these trucks? I'm looking in the 02-03 model years, with around 80k miles or so. Obviously, I'd have the vin run by the lexus dealer for all the records and such. The only thing that spooks me about the LX vs. the Land Cruiser is the differences in the suspension setup. God knows I (or anyone for that matter) wants to face the costs of repairing a Lexus air suspension system....ouch! Been telling folks over on the LS forum to avoid this feature for the utter cost to service. But, have to assume the LX system is beefier due to the SUV nature of the vehicle.

So...any problems beyond a turn of a wrench to level it out?

Thanks LX family!

The suspension is actually hydraulic and not air. Which is why it lasts longer. Air suspensions such as ones on Tahoes, Land Rovers often get holes in the air shocks in about 5 years or less. My 1998 LX470 is 12 years old with 113k miles and has never had the hydraulic suspension worked on and it works perfectly still. But when it does need parts replaced it IS more expensive than air suspension parts...but I do not personally know because I have never had work done on it yet!!

The AHC suspension can be an issue and expensive to fix. The common problems are the 4 accumulators and the sensors. But don't be too afraid, the suspension can be swapped out to conventional Land Cruiser suspension.

I recommend getting the 03 over the 02 just for the 5 speed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoser - Whats involved in the crossover in terms of time and expense? My '99 has 200K miles (it's been a good ride and we're not stopping here) and the AHC is beginning too act squirley - it's as if the shocks were busted and it's bouncy. Sometimes it decides to adjust height all on it's own - like sitting at a redlight it decides it wants to be closer to the pavement. If it's not prohibitively expensive I'd love to change to a more conventional system such as the TLC.

Thanks - Tsavo

The AHC suspension can be an issue and expensive to fix. The common problems are the 4 accumulators and the sensors. But don't be too afraid, the suspension can be swapped out to conventional Land Cruiser suspension.

You need to replace the shocks, rear springs and front torsion bars. The mounts are the same. The AHC shock has a hydraulic line connected to it which will need to be plugged or you can remove the AHC components. You will also need to disconnect the power to the AHC.

You could buy the T-bars and springs for nearly nothing (or free) from an LC owner who has changed their suspension to something heavier duty. If you tend to carry more weight, consider going to Old Man Emu suspension.

Hoser - Whats involved in the crossover in terms of time and expense? My '99 has 200K miles (it's been a good ride and we're not stopping here) and the AHC is beginning too act squirley - it's as if the shocks were busted and it's bouncy. Sometimes it decides to adjust height all on it's own - like sitting at a redlight it decides it wants to be closer to the pavement. If it's not prohibitively expensive I'd love to change to a more conventional system such as the TLC.

Thanks - Tsavo

Isn't that the automatic height control? it levels itself on minor hills, mine does that too!

it could be switch off, i tried, but it often came back on automatically, is that suppose to happend?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks - Tsavo

Isn't that the automatic height control? it levels itself on minor hills, mine does that too!

it could be switch off, i tried, but it often came back on automatically, is that suppose to happend?

If I understand the system correctly, it resets all settings when the ignition is turned off. If it is coming back on before this, I have no idea why. My 2001 has 165k miles and no problem with AHC. I change height pretty often for hitching to trailers, maybe the system likes a workout from time to time like the center diff switch.