Head Unit Anti-theft Code ... Yes Or No?

K9crew

You probably have a profit bracket. When you take it out make sure that you have the radio code before hand. You can call the dealer and get it from them if you do not have it.

I'm going to remove the Pioneer head unit from my LS and send it to Mikado this weekend to be repaired. My car is finally going to the body shop (the new rear door came in) so this seems like a good time to be without a head unit. A member here called dogboy made the statement above but didn't reply to my post requesting confirmation. I've searched through the owner's manuals and found nothing about a security code. I called the local Lexus dealership and was informed that the letters SEC will appear in the display IF a code is active and IF the battery is disconnected for a few minutes. I've had the battery disconnected for hours but haven't seen any SEC letters in the display. Does this mean that I don't have the anti-theft feature or is it simply that I don't have a code entered. Does anyone know how I enter a code assuming that I have that feature?

Thanks for any help.

:)

VMF,

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't want to remove the head unit only to find out that it's useless without the previous owner's security code. I had an Eclipse head unit in a car in the early '90's that used a CD to unlock the security feature. The owner could choose any CD they wanted but if they forgot which CD they used or if that CD was damaged the unit had to be sent back to the factory to be reset.

my 1996 nakamichi sysystem doesnt have it as well as my friends pioneer system in 99 GS. i'm not even sure if there is such option available for the audio system since it cannot be used anywhere else but your model

VMF and 99,

I'm about to remove the head unit and thanks to you guys I'm sure that I won't end up with an expensive paperweight!! I'm thinking about removing the door panels before I drop my car off at the body shop. I don't know how careful they'll be in removing/installing them. I always do that now before taking a car/truck to be tinted ... I had a bad experience about 8 years ago where the installers broke numerous mounting clips!!