Engine Dies After Starting Easily

Have a 1992 sc400 which runs like a top. It always starts. But onc start in maybe ten the engne will choke and die after starting. Occasionally it will do this several times in a row, almost like water in the fuel. But once the car starts and revs cleanly it runs perfectly on the road. Its just right after starting that it sometimes chokes and dies out. Anyone have this problem who's discovered the cause?? Ive tried dry gas twice and replaced plug wires etc. . . Im new to this forum but own a small car business and really like the sc400 so I buy nice ones when I see them. Need help here!

• 1 month later...

Have a 1992 sc400 which runs like a top. It always starts. But onc start in maybe ten the engne will choke and die after starting. Occasionally it will do this several times in a row, almost like water in the fuel. But once the car starts and revs cleanly it runs perfectly on the road. Its just right after starting that it sometimes chokes and dies out. Anyone have this problem who's discovered the cause?? Ive tried dry gas twice and replaced plug wires etc. . . Im new to this forum but own a small car business and really like the sc400 so I buy nice ones when I see them. Need help here!

I started having the same problem. The engine just dies after starting normally. Very intermittent. Most times it starts and idles normally. It does not stall while in gear. Mechanic is thinking it is the engine computer, but as of yet is not sure as to the cause. The good news is it happened to the mechanic this morning after I dropped it off.

It's been going on (and off) for about two to three weeks now, and seems to be happening more often. I can't find any consistency however (hot, cold engine, AC on or off, temp control on or off, headlights on or off, etc.)

Any help would be appreciated. Sooner rather than later please as my mechanic is going to call and want me to make a decision.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi Printz,

I own a 93 SC400, and recently started having the similar problem you described with my car as well. Were you able to figure out the problem, if so please let me know. Thanks in advance.

I have been having similar problems except my sc300 dies when I am driving also. the trac light comes on. i THINK my problem has something to do with the traction control. The part that is in the throttle body. I am going to unplug my connectors to throttle body traction control and see if it runs. I was wondering if anybody has had this problem.

• 1 month later...

Dudes...and those that are not quite dudes... enter my handle 'sc400Intraining' into the search box and search through my posts one of them will have the solution to this problem in detail.This goes out to all new members Dudes and not quite dudes alike please search the the forum before posting more than 80% of amatuer problems and solutions are already on here

FREE WEEZIE !!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Did you ever resolve your problem. I'm having the same issue

I have been having similar problems except my sc300 dies when I am driving also. the trac light comes on. i THINK my problem has something to do with the traction control. The part that is in the throttle body. I am going to unplug my connectors to throttle body traction control and see if it runs. I was wondering if anybody has had this problem.

I'm having something similar. It start but sometimes dies when the engine is warm. just recently my TRAC light came on. Did you ever resolve your problem.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the same problem I was wondering good it be a bad fuel pump r fuel filter because minds have never been change when its cold out its starts right up and run fine after it warms up I try to start it it starts then shut right off

Hi i was looking through the forum to find a solution for my problem and it is exactly the same problem can you let me know if you already fix yours thanks