60K Service

I am at 48k miles on my 06 400h and even though I have over a year to go, I would like to know any of your thoughts on the 60K service on the 400h. My 30k service cost over $400 and I am wondering about the 60k. I have looked on this sight but haven't been able to find much...so, please don't tell me to look again...just let me know your opinion. Thanks, Rey in sunny SoCal.

Ray - read THIS post ... it's the VERY same, minimum junk:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-care-maintenance-troubleshooting/28970-what-services-you-need-what-you-don-t.html

The list of stuff was put together by a certified factory hybrid tech.

Edit: You can go down to the dealer and ask them for a run down of what you get for your HUNDREDS of dollars at 60K. Inspect brake lines (nope, none cracked/leaking), inspect brake pads (nope, plenty left) change cabin filter ($14 on line ... and BOOM, 35 seconds to install) etc. These so called MAJOR service checkpoints are NOT necessary to keep your warranty valid. Want to REALLY make the service manager squirm? Ask him, "what's the MINIMUM I HAVE to do to keep the warranty valid?" It's a great honesty/integrity test too.

Just three words: do it yourself....

I don't do it myself ...not that kind of guy..plus isn't it more difficult to service a hybrid? I see that you have the gas only RX. Does anyone know what the 60K cost if I take it in at 60K miles?

Ray - read THIS post ... it's the VERY same, minimum junk:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-care-maintenance-troubleshooting/28970-what-services-you-need-what-you-don-t.html

The list of stuff was put together by a certified factory hybrid tech.

Edit: You can go down to the dealer and ask them for a run down of what you get for your HUNDREDS of dollars at 60K. Inspect brake lines (nope, none cracked/leaking), inspect brake pads (nope, plenty left) change cabin filter ($14 on line ... and BOOM, 35 seconds to install) etc. These so called MAJOR service checkpoints are NOT necessary to keep your warranty valid. Want to REALLY make the service manager squirm? Ask him, "what's the MINIMUM I HAVE to do to keep the warranty valid?" It's a great honesty/integrity test too.

Thanks, great advice. My service MGR has always been great. Thanks again "SE'sGMN", Rey

Rey, I use Lindsay Lexus. Their prices are available on-line, all makes and models and service dates. See http://sd3d.simmonsmcs.com/dealership/alexandria_lexus/vehicles When I get rid of all extras for the 60k service, including not replacing the AC filter (as someone else said, easy enough to do yourself with a NAPA gold filter) and not replacing the diff fluid (don't know how necessary this is--it's another $150), it comes to $426. (For 30k service, it's $350 plus $150 for diff fluid.)

Good luck!

See if this answers your questions.

Strange - every Lexus hybrid tech I've spoken with says to replace the PCV at 60K ... which really just makes common sence. They're easy to DIY, and just a few bucks at the local autozone type place. But the PDF says only the following are necessary (all easy to do your self)at 60K:

o Replace engine oil and oil filter; reset reminder light

o Rotate tires

o Visually inspect brake pads and rotors

o Road-test vehicle

Let us know what they do, and let us know what they charge, if you don't mind.

Strange - every Lexus hybrid tech I've spoken with says to replace the PCV at 60K ... which really just makes common sence. They're easy to DIY, and just a few bucks at the local autozone type place. But the PDF says only the following are necessary (all easy to do your self)at 60K:

o Rotate tires

o Road-test vehicle

The PCV valve is easier to replace on the 330. On the hybrid it's tucked in at the back of the engine. It's not super hard, but involved taking off a few parts, which is not required on the 330. I've a DIY posted somewhere on this site..

If you change your oil when you are supposed to, your PCV valve should last as long as your spark plugs last. Most likely, a close-tolerance engine such as that in the RX400h will not produce an abundance of oil-saturated blowby gasses, as did the cars of yesteryear. Therefore, PCV valves should function quite a bit longer than the PCV valves of old.

• 2 weeks later...

So, after all of these weeks, no one can tell me what they paid....60k mile service...I just want to see what some of you had to pay....

o Rotate tires

o Road-test vehicle

The PCV valve is easier to replace on the 330. On the hybrid it's tucked in at the back of the engine. It's not super hard, but involved taking off a few parts, which is not required on the 330. I've a DIY posted somewhere on this site..

I'm not a do it "yourselfer" so I have no idea what any of you are talking about...thanks anyway...rey

• 1 month later...

I am at 48k miles on my 06 400h and even though I have over a year to go, I would like to know any of your thoughts on the 60K service on the 400h. My 30k service cost over $400 and I am wondering about the 60k. I have looked on this sight but haven't been able to find much...so, please don't tell me to look again...just let me know your opinion. Thanks, Rey in sunny SoCal.

My Lexus dealer did the 60k service a few months ago. $468.90 total.

Labor = 286

Parts = 144.61

G.O.G. = 11.75

State Tax = 26.54

They did all the usual inspections, replaced the AC filter and Air Filter, replaced the brake fluid, replaced the wiper inserts, did a battery test, replaced the PCV, replaced the gas cap gasket, oil filter and oil change, & rotated tires.

My Lexus dealer did the 60k service a few months ago. $468.90 total.

Labor = 286

Parts = 144.61

G.O.G. = 11.75

State Tax = 26.54

They did all the usual inspections, replaced the AC filter and Air Filter, replaced the brake fluid, replaced the wiper inserts, did a battery test, replaced the PCV, replaced the gas cap gasket, oil filter and oil change, & rotated tires.

Great! This is exactly what I have been asking for..not advice about doing it myself...I just don't do that...just what it cost and that's it....Thank you!!!! Rey

• 4 weeks later...

Got my 400h back today from the dealer after the 60K visit...

Oil & Filter (owner supplied Mobil 1 oil)

Measure and inspect brake pads (still have 6mm front/8mm rear left!, replace at 2.5mm)

6Ok Inspection (long list of things that were all OK)

Replaced brake fluid

Replaced trans/fwd diff fluid

Replaced rear diff fluid

total $488

but I got $50 off labor because I did not have them check the engine or cabin air filters (which I replaced on my own), or rotate the tires (which I get free with the tires).

Measure and inspect brake pads (still have 6mm front/8mm rear left!, replace at 2.5mm)

Replaced brake fluid

Replaced rear diff fluid

total $488

but I got $50 off labor because I did not have them check the engine or cabin air filters (which I replaced on my own), or rotate the tires (which I get free with the tires).

I have my 100,000 km (60,000 mi) service next week and they mentioned the same items as your list, but what I thought weird is the rear diff fluid. I didn't know we had rear diffs, thought the dealer was pulling my leg. Isn't the rear wheels just attached to the motor and that's it?

Replaced brake fluid

Replaced rear diff fluid

total $488

I have my 100,000 km (60,000 mi) service next week and they mentioned the same items as your list, but what I thought weird is the rear diff fluid. I didn't know we had rear diffs, thought the dealer was pulling my leg. Isn't the rear wheels just attached to the motor and that's it?

Yes, there is fluid in the MGR (motor generator rear). It's the standard Toyota ATF-WS. Two litres if I remember correctly from when I did it myself (or 1.8 or 1.9, close enough). They may have called it rear diff but really it's the rear motor (or transaxle I guess). Next service, save yourself a few bucks and DIY.

Next service, save yourself a few bucks and DIY.

I am not trying to come across as a jerk but just because it may be beneficial for you to do your own services there are many of us who not only don't want to do it also just don't have time to do it either. For me the little bit of time I have off the last thing I want to do is crawl under a car, have to find somewhere to dispose of the fluids. If I take off to do the service I will loose more money than if I had just paid to have the service done in the first place. It depends doing your own service "may" save you money and it may not. My time is worth money too.