Transmission Not Shifting Correctly:

Hi everyone,

I have yet another transmission concern I've noticed over the last couple of days & just wanted to run it by you to see if this is normal or if I should take it to the dealership to have it looked at.......sorry if I'm getting on some nerves here with asking so many questions (quite a few about the maintenance of the tranny as well) but please bare with me. I'm still learning about the ES as I go here. :blushing: Here goes...

- When the car is cold & has been sitting over night outside (I work nights & can't park it in doors) the temp is between 0 c (32 f) & - 18 c (0 f). I would start it in the morning & let it idle for about a minute to a minute and a half, I start to drive under VERY light load, I find the RPM's extremely high when it shifts from 2nd - 3rd gear (fairly high when shifting between 1 & 2 also but a lot more noticable on the 2 - 3 gear change. I am doing between 16 MPH (25 kph) & 30 MPH (50 KPH) but the tach is about 3,100 RPM during this time & as I said I am accelerating very slowly to get up to this speed & it takes a good 20 - 25 seconds for it to shift to a higher gear to bring the rpm's down to a more normal level (I am aware that because the vehicle is cold it usually rev's higher while warming up). My question to everyone is, does anybody think this is a little excessive & should take this long before it shifts into a higher gear? or is this just perfectly normal operation of the transmission? Could it be that something is not quite right with the transmissions computer & needs some sort of an adjustment or recalibration? & do you think it's serious? :unsure:

Once the vehicle has reached "operating temperature" all seems fine & normal.

I don't recall my 01' Maxima taking this much time when doing the exact same thing I described.

I plan in the next couple of weeks to do a complete transmission flush, but I think I will hold off for the time being to see if I should have this problem looked at by my Lexus dealer under warranty. Any answers, advice or suggestions would be helpful, thanks everyone!

:cheers:

lexusfreak,

SK is on the money - again!

toyota designs there shift solenoids to shift based on the coolant & trans fluid temperatures. Like you, this bothers me a little too - but it is Toy's way of getting the car up to normal op temperature. Specs are around 156 - 176 degrees.

My 99ls will shift from 1-2nd pretty much immediately but will wait until 2500 rpm (or 25 mph) to shift into 3rd while still cold. This is exactly what the manual diagnostics describe.

It takes about 3 minutes + to warm up the LS. I just "idle thru the neighborhood" at about 15 mph (for 1/2 mile) before I need to get to outer road with 45 mph speed limit. Even then, the engine is not warmed up if its 20 degress farenheit or less.

There is no harm, just trying to get the engine warm ASAP! (But I don't like it)

Thanks straightening this up gents! I agree with you 99 that I'm not a fan of how the car shifts when cold, but glad at least that there is no cause for concern if thats the way it's suppose to be. I assume a good service manager at a Lexus dealer will know about this as well (more than likely he/she has had that question asked more than once by customers) should I ask next time I bring the car in for service?

We are indeed a lot alike steviej lol :D I think just for giggles will quiz my service manager just to get his reaction. I do trust & appreciate the advice you guy's have provided me up untill now & no dought in the future as well B) Both the LOC & CL are fantastic sites to talk with other Lexus owners about everything & anything. It's just too bad you & I can't get on the same page about our favourite baseball teams lol........j/k steve :blushing: Thanks again.

Sure, quiz them but don't clue them into "oddities" that you may be experiencing with your car, like this one, that you've already solved or are waiting on. A service writer is basically just a salesman, his job is to sell you service. if you clue him in about some shifting concern you open yourself up to him suggesting a hefty repair bill you don't really need...

Sure, quiz them but don't clue them into "oddities" that you may be experiencing with your car, like this one, that you've already solved or are waiting on. A service writer is basically just a salesman, his job is to sell you service. if you clue him in about some shifting concern you open yourself up to him suggesting a hefty repair bill you don't really need...

Right on the Button !

Steviej, I'm glad we both have an excellent sense of humour! B) I look forward to the start of the season :D Now if only find out how I can get the Blue Jays logo up here lol :D

SW, point well taken & thanks........no worries on this end however......the car is under full factory warranty plus I have the "Lexus" extended coverage as well so I'm good for 3 more years. Your bang on about the service advisors being salesmen......I wouldn't put a lot of stock in them if the car was not covered.