Oil Change Interval

paul c

This is a very variable topic as it ultimately comes down to the fact that each person develops a change interval that they are comforatble with.

I think you will find the most common interval(s) are

every 3000 miles when using conventional oils (dino) and

every 5000 miles when using synthetic oils.

These intervals are independent of the grade of oil.

steviej

http://www.lexus.com/home/contact_lexus.html 5. Can I use synthetic engine oil in my Lexus vehicle during its break-in period?

Synthetic oil can be used at the first scheduled oil change. Please note that the use of synthetic oil does not extend the recommended oil change intervals. If synthetic oil is used after that time, it should be the same SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) weight specification and meet or exceed the API (American Petroleum Institute) grade specifications listed in the Owner's Manual. Even if synthetic oil is used, we do not recommend longer oil change intervals. Once synthetic oil is used, it is best not to switch back to petroleum-based oil.

5k on a good synthetic would be a safe bet. I am using 5-w30 amsoil ASL and was told that the engine in a 98 es300 is very tough on the oil. Based on his used oil analysis, he thinks 6,000 to 7,500 should not be a problem, but does not recommend over 10,000 unless verifying with an oil analysis.

Other synthetics that I would consider are Mobil M1 SS and Redline, although the redline may cost too much to be cost effective for me.

It seems like everyone on this board is really dedicated to maintenance. I'm just trying to make sure I'm not wasting my money and also get some insight on how other members treat their lexus. I was kinda of curious on how its possible that BMW and MBENZ reccomend such extended drain interval on their automobiles. Even the ultra high performance M3 has something like a 14,000 mile drain interval.

I look at it this way:

I don't mind Over Maintaining my Vehicle because I DIY :lol:

That would be one extra service (per year) for the following items:

Syn. Oil & Filter $120 ( $40 each x 3 per year )

Brake Flush $15

Tranny Drain $15 (2 x year)

Coolant Flush $32

Diffy Fluid $15

PS Flush $10

------------

Total $208

It would cost you at least $270 just for 3 oil changes in one year @ dealer

Hey 99LS, I couldn't agree with you more. I think a big part of the luxury of doing it yourself is that you do save a ton on labor and even parts. In my case I get a real big advantage in that I'm in the Navy(16yrs.) and we have a shop with lifts, overhausl stalls etc.. It's a big plus to the do it your-selfer. I was kinda of curious how you flush all your fluids, i.e. your transmission and brake. Also, do you change your coolant or do you pay for a flush. What kinda of brake fluid are you running.

Hey 99LS, I couldn't agree with you more. I think a big part of the luxury of doing it yourself is that you do save a ton on labor and even parts. In my case I get a real big advantage in that I'm in the Navy(16yrs.) and we have a shop with lifts, overhausl stalls etc.. It's a big plus to the do it your-selfer. I was kinda of curious how you flush all your fluids, i.e. your transmission and brake. Also, do you change your coolant or do you pay for a flush. What kinda of brake fluid are you running.

It is fun and part of the "aura"!!

Seriously jealous about you having a full shop with lifts :lol: That's Awesome!

I just pan drain the tranny. you get 2-3 quarts out and put back in about 3/4 quart LESS for starters. After a couple of times you'll get the feel for how much to add. It's kinda precise - just add little at time and make sure the fluid is hot - it expands as it heats up.

Check out the threads about:

Transmission overfilled - possible damage? by K9Crew in the LS400 forum

Power Steering flush by k9Crew " " '

Several coolant flush threads...

All these are recent - as in last week or so. I have lots of dialogue in them. K9 does a great job with the PS Flush