Found This Product From Addco

turboomni

I've been searching for poly swaybar bushings front and rear in my attempt to rid the old girl of body lean and creaking from the old bushings in the front. Daizen is not available BUT I found a ADDCO rear swaybar kit made for the 1990 to 1997 Lexus LS400. It is a 7/8 inch bar and is a complete kit. That is a good bit thicker that the one in the car now I think. Does anyone have any experience with this kit installed and how was it to install??

I installed a ADDCO rear swaybar to my 69 OLDS Cutlass years ago and it really helped the handling a great deal. Ideally the thicker rear bar shouldn't messup the overall ride will it?? Or will it??

Any thoughts or experience with this would be great.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting question. I know in the the distant past we always installed the biggest sway bars we could get to handle the power. They were easy to find in any junkyard because the put them on most big 98 Oldsmobiles and Buicks and they were often the exact same as fit on whatever Chevy you had at the time. I had a 64.5 Mustang 289 2V auto and that thing had the worst suspension ever made which no sway bar could ever fix.

I guess my feeling is that a bigger sway bar couldn't hurt but then again, my engineering degree is still in the mail. Keep posting and let me know if you decide to go for it. Hate to say you are the guinea pig, but ....

Denny

Interesting question. I know in the the distant past we always installed the biggest sway bars we could get to handle the power. They were easy to find in any junkyard because the put them on most big 98 Oldsmobiles and Buicks and they were often the exact same as fit on whatever Chevy you had at the time. I had a 64.5 Mustang 289 2V auto and that thing had the worst suspension ever made which no sway bar could ever fix.

I guess my feeling is that a bigger sway bar couldn't hurt but then again, my engineering degree is still in the mail. Keep posting and let me know if you decide to go for it. Hate to say you are the guinea pig, but ....

Denny

Thanks for the reply Denny. I searched abit and found out some info on the Addco swaybar for the LS400 on ClubLexus.com. It's been around for quite awhile..mid 2000's at least. All reports are good and it really helps in the lean department. No one reported any ride harshness from the bar.

It cost's 150 from Summit. I think I'll buy it and replace my worn front swaybar bushings with the replacement made by Moog. They are only 18 bucks a pair instead of 20+ bucks apiece from Lexus. Looks like an easy install on both ends.

Does your LS400 lean more than you like?? Mine does and although I don't want it to be like a rigid sports car alittle less lean would be great.

I'll let you know what happens!!!

GREAT find. If i can find a few extra bucks I will definetly get me one and try it out. The stock sway bar is like half that diameter and I assume this new bar comes with poly bushings and not crappy rubber ones. I can't believe I never knew about this. You are awesome!!

GREAT find. If i can find a few extra bucks I will definetly get me one and try it out. The stock sway bar is like half that diameter and I assume this new bar comes with poly bushings and not crappy rubber ones. I can't believe I never knew about this. You are awesome!!

If you get yours done before me let us know how it works for you! Checkout the forum i mentioned before as there is alot of info there on the bar.

Only bad thing mentioned was the bar thickness was "speculated" to be too thick. But it was never tried by the "speculators" and all others that tried it loved it. I believe it comes with poly bushings.

My next project it the "muffler delete" mod which is reversable and costs nothing and is also in that forum. I love my Lexus LS but they all have 2 cats +3 resonators +2 mufflers. I would like to hear my beautifull V8 sound alittle bit. Remember the song Hot Rod Lincoln?? I'd like her to have a voice too.

update. On the Summit racing website they wont get them in till mid July. I went to Jegs and although not in stock they called ADDCO and it was available. I ordered it and ADDCO is sending it directly to me and it will get here in 4 to 5 days. Part # is 2027 ,,,and yes it has poly bushings as I just talked with ADDCo on the phone. cost is 150 + 12 bucks shipped to your door.

I think it may be a positive modification for more aggressive drivers - that's not too bad a price either, may consider adding that to my shocks package - and if i dont like the feel of the modification right away, then further adjustments can be made to stiffen or soften it a bit. Remember, there is no "absoulte 0" when it comes to tuning any cars suspension there are always +'s and -'s to fine tuning. just be sure to do your homework as you have done before installing any aftermarket products.

I think it may be a positive modification for more aggressive drivers - that's not too bad a price either, may consider adding that to my shocks package - and if i dont like the feel of the modification right away, then further adjustments can be made to stiffen or soften it a bit. Remember, there is no "absoulte 0" when it comes to tuning any cars suspension there are always +'s and -'s to fine tuning. just be sure to do your homework as you have done before installing any aftermarket products.

Thanks for the reply. In talking with addco and research on other forums on this car the ride quality on normal roads is not changed and only comes into play on corners obviously. Addco also stated the bar was tested in conjunction with the stock front swaybar setup from the factory. It will most likely be my only suspension mod other than maintenence as the roads in the state of Massachusetts can be brutal after the winter plows ruin them and makes potholes etc.

What have you done to your LS400 ?? I am a Lexus noob but have worked on cars abit over the years.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. In talking with addco and research on other forums on this car the ride quality on normal roads is not changed and only comes into play on corners obviously. Addco also stated the bar was tested in conjunction with the stock front swaybar setup from the factory. It will most likely be my only suspension mod other than maintenence as the roads in the state of Massachusetts can be brutal after the winter plows ruin them and makes potholes etc.

What have you done to your LS400 ?? I am a Lexus noob but have worked on cars abit over the years.

Thanks

My LS400 is as stock as you can get right now - premium maintanace has only been done to it so far. but it is ready for some replacement parts especially in the suspension dept - Powertrain is as optimal as it will get for now with new fluids, timing belt, pulleys, plugs, plugwires and filters.

after inspecting all components in the suspension all bushings are dry, cracked and way "out of spec" shape so im positive that is contributing to my "boat" like feel. The shocks may be fine but i am opting for more stiffer Bilstein shock absorbers. thought heavily on the Muffler delete but also I love the quiet suprise essence the car has now - they don't notice me untill I pass by them - wouldnt want to alert them with a Throaty V8 sound. lol even though I love to hear my throttle body opening up with rushing air.

Thanks

My LS400 is as stock as you can get right now - premium maintanace has only been done to it so far. but it is ready for some replacement parts especially in the suspension dept - Powertrain is as optimal as it will get for now with new fluids, timing belt, pulleys, plugs, plugwires and filters.

after inspecting all components in the suspension all bushings are dry, cracked and way "out of spec" shape so im positive that is contributing to my "boat" like feel. The shocks may be fine but i am opting for more stiffer Bilstein shock absorbers. thought heavily on the Muffler delete but also I love the quiet suprise essence the car has now - they don't notice me untill I pass by them - wouldnt want to alert them with a Throaty V8 sound. lol even though I love to hear my throttle body opening up with rushing air.

Sounds to me your doing things the right way, making sure everything is up to snuff before adding anything.

I went to my buddies shop today and we unclamped heated and removed the rear mufflers. They can be reinstalled if I want,,but I really like the sound! They're exiting before the rear axle now but it is quiet still but a nice mild rumble. Close the windows and you dont hear it unless you really stomp on it. I already made an appointment for making the pipes to the rear of the car as I like it that much. Not loud at all. You should try it for a day or two and if you don't like it clamp them back on. I was amazed the bolts for the clamps weren't seized with the winter salt up here but no problem! Yours should be cake!!!

Thanks

Ooops pressed a button by accident. Sorry

Thanks

Sounds to me your doing things the right way, making sure everything is up to snuff before adding anything.

I went to my buddies shop today and we unclamped heated and removed the rear mufflers. They can be reinstalled if I want,,but I really like the sound! They're exiting before the rear axle now but it is quiet still but a nice mild rumble. Close the windows and you dont hear it unless you really stomp on it. I already made an appointment for making the pipes to the rear of the car as I like it that much. Not loud at all. You should try it for a day or two and if you don't like it clamp them back on. I was amazed the bolts for the clamps weren't seized with the winter salt up here but no problem! Yours should be cake!!!

never hurts to try anything once, and they are remarkably easy to remove and that is a reflection on how these cars are designed - very user friendly to the amatuer mechanics.

Been living without the rear mufflers for about a week now with the opening in front of the rear axle. Nice sound that goes away almost completely with windows closed. It will become softer still when I have extension pipes to the rear are fitted. I like it alot and wished it was a tad louder but thats as far as I will go as I dont want to cut up the exhaust and and make it any louder ,hey it is a Lexus after all ,,with a touch of Hot Rod Lincoln thrown in!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the ADDCO sway bar,

I installed the swaybar today ,,it is one beefy piece of metal compared to that spindly bamboo stock piece. I could twist it by hand abit but not the Addco one. I drove without any swaybar to get a drill bit to install the new one ,,more on that later,,and I didnt notice any difference in the way it handled without the rear swaybar,,,lol.

With the Addco swaybar it is a very nice improvement in every way. Ride quality is still great, handling is more precise and it has a better directional stability on the highway. Going around corners [not crazy speed as I dont do that] there is a good bit less lean. I am now going to upgrade the old groaning front sway bar bushings and may go Poly on that too. I am not a racer type driver and respect my vehicles and I highly recommend this cheap upgrade.

SWEET I cant wait to order mine as soon as I get home from the middle of no where Nebraska. Thanks for the update. It's greatly appreciated.

If you install the sway bar your self May I warn you about the minor pains about installing the Addco swaybar. It is not a complete drop in.

The urethane brackets will have to be filed or drilled out to make them fit. The ends of the the sway bar itself on a 1997 install will have to be drilled out to 1/2 inch instead of the 3/8th inch as it came from the Addco factory.

Not a big deal but there you have it! Now on to the front bushings,,,,,and a few other things.

Love this car,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• 4 weeks later...

just ordered one from autopartsdealer.com for $108 shipped to my door. summit and jeggs were both backordered so I googled it and found this one for $50 cheaper!! I can't wait to install it and see if it lives up to the hype.

WOW!! Great price!! Mine was 160 or so.

What year is your LS again and how big is the stock rear sway bar now???

If by chance your stock bar is 7/8ths inch or so now you won't see much difference. The ADDCO bar is 7'8's

Mine was about 1/2 inch or so and when removed with no sway bar in place I noticed No Difference in handling lol.

With the new one it was much better.

Let us know how it goes for you.

mine is a 93 and I think the stock sway bar is only like 12mm so 7/8 should make a huge difference. I don't know if the stock bar is hollow or solid, but the stock rubber bushings are shot. I've looked under there and the rubber is crumbling apart. With shipping daizen bushings are $50 so I basically get an upgraded bar for $50 except the front bushings aren't included. Hopefully my early birthday presant will be here next wednesday when I get back from chicago!!! :D :D

mine is a 93 and I think the stock sway bar is only like 12mm so 7/8 should make a huge difference. I don't know if the stock bar is hollow or solid, but the stock rubber bushings are shot. I've looked under there and the rubber is crumbling apart. With shipping daizen bushings are $50 so I basically get an upgraded bar for $50 except the front bushings aren't included. Hopefully my early birthday presant will be here next wednesday when I get back from chicago!!! :D :D

You can get Daizen bushings now?? I emailed them and everything and nothing.No matter they are not needed anyway.

My rear stock bar seems hollow. The addco bar came with urethane bushings and I lubed the hell out of them with wheel bearing grease when I installed them. I bought the energy suspension front ,,universal urethane bushings [club lexus post] with zerk fitting on them BUT I am so happy with the rear that I will order the MOOG stock type OEM rubber front stock type swaybar bushings. [they are softer than urethane] If I dont like them I will swap out the energy suspension ones.

The addco swaybar will transmit uneven side to side road variations more than the bamboo stock swaybar which will change the ride somewhat because the stock bar was so forgiving,,but going around corners at any speeed the bigger sway bar will plant the old girls butt to the road much faster and be directionally much more stable and much quicker to respond to commands than before. On the highway it is wonderful as there is little lag for the rear to catch up to the front of the car.

Let us know what you think when installed.

TM engineering sells them. Here's the link: http://www.tmengineering.net/suspension/daizen/make/ls.html

I like the idea of having a grease zerk on the urethane bushings. It seems like the grease that you but when you install them wont last more than a month or two.

Have you actually ordered from them> ?? I tried and no responce.

no I have not tried to order from them. I didn't realize that someone would say they have something for sale and not even respond to a buyer. that sucks that you didn't get a response.

I tried ordering from all the places they list as dealers too for their products and the one or 2 places I could talk with said they haven't heard from them in quite awhile and had no info for me. Or products.